34th Chapter ♣ Recognized and Zion's Confession

"Those who fail to complete the term of eight years in the academy have not necessarily wasted their time. They become scholars and other respected personalities even after just a few years."

Chapter Thirty-Four  Recognized and Zion's Confession

Valeriana stirred from where she lie, feeling lethargic and groggy. Her brows scrunched from the agonizing headache that tormented her right after she gained consciousness and she let out a small groan from her parted lips. She heard some shuffling as she urged her eyes to open. She found herself staring at a plain white ceiling. The lights penetrated through the medium-sized window on the wall curtained by thick blinds.

She remembered falling asleep after being attended to by the healer. She just felt so tired that time that she just automatically blacked out after everything.

She tried to move, but froze when the pain attacked her from all over, stopping her from shifting her limbs. She looked down at herself and saw the fact that her whole body was covered in bandages.

Valeriana grunted. "Argh. What the hell?"

"You're awake?" A soft voice said.

She blinked numerous times to clear her vision and heard footsteps coming her way. Looking up, she saw a green-eyed brunette staring at her with a kind smile. She recognized her as the healer, named Olivia, who helped her many times before, including her duel with Courtney.

"How long was I out?"

"Roughly a day."

"Did I . . . ?" she trailed off.

"Win?" Olivia continued for her. "Of course. You did."

"R-really?" She visibly relaxed. "Thank god. I thought it was a dream."

"But you're in no condition to move around just yet," she hastily added. "You received more injuries than you did in your previous fight. I had to wrap you all over. But the part of your body that received the worst damage—your hands. You broke a few bones, did you know?"

"I . . . what?" She tried making a twitch but stopped short when the pain shot up from her fingers. "Ouch."

"I told you." She sighed. "You're a fool for not letting go of that sword. Now look what has happened to you."

"It was the only way for me to win."

"I know." She then flashed a grin. "And I admire you for that, despite the foolishness."

Valeriana blushed. "When will I get better?"

"I recommend you coming for healing sessions thrice a day for the next few weeks until you're better. Your wounds should be healed if you come to me tomorrow, but your hands will take longer to recover."

"I see. So it's that bad, huh?"

"It's actually worse than you think."

Valeriana cringed. "Oh."

"Classes should've already ended by now. I think you should expect some visitors sometime soon."

"I missed school?"

"You did."

She groaned. "I'm doomed."

"Just do your best," Olivia told her. "Fifth-ranker," she added with a bigger smile.

Valeriana felt a bubble of happiness rise in her chest as a grin forcibly stretched her lips. She suddenly felt elated—jubilant really.

-*-