24

PLEASE MAKE ME SMILE AND VOTE BY CLICKING THAT STAR AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN!

When you're back to square one. Actually, it's zero. Square zero.

Feeling extremely uneasy, I waited for Noah to come to class.

He did, but he didn't sit beside me this time.

"This should have never happened."

The blankness in his eyes when he said that, the cold finality in his voice. It hurt.

Did he mean we should have never happened? That he and I shouldn't have been friends in the first place?

It seemed too abrupt, too short, the happy times we had together before something eventually—always— sliced it apart.

I threw a glance at him. His head was turned to the window so that I couldn't even see his face, but I noticed his hands were balled into fists.

Who is Luna?

Since that night he climbed in my bedroom, Noah seemed more open to me, playful. Flirtatious even.

But as soon as Drew mentioned Luna's name, Noah turned into a completely different person.

She must have meant a lot to him judging from his strong reaction.

Drew said I reminded him of Luna. How? Why?

Was she Noah's girlfriend?

But Noah said he didn't have a girlfriend.

An ex, maybe.

Worse, did I remind Noah of her? Was that why he was talking to me all of a sudden?

It was... disheartening to think about it.

Part of me wondered if I should leave Noah alone, but everyone in his life had left him already.

His mother died. His sister left town. His father was never a father to him.

At least Sebastian was there, but I'd only seen them together once.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe there is a reason why he's always alone?

It seemed that there was no point in my internal battle, because just like the flakes of snow that started to fall from the sky and melted on the ground,

the Noah who gave me a band-aid that night in my bedroom,

the playful Noah behind the school gym,

the Noah who made me think, question, and examine the rules rather than blindly accepting them,

disappeared and never spoke to me again.

In his place was a Noah who never looked at or talked to me. But even that Noah held a certain familiarity. He had stopped talking to me before. Although this time, there was a coldness in his manner that was never there before, an indifference that affected me deeply more than his anger ever could.