20. Un-Compelled

• Dedicated to Eleanor Conway

"Jen... are you alright?"

Something was happening. I stood up looking around me but I wasn't in my study anymore. Hell, I wasn't even in Mystic Falls. I was back in New York. This had to be some kind of spell or something. I recognised the place, I wasn't far from a nightclub I used to go to. It was the only reason I knew this area. I didn't know what time it was but it was night, and as the street was empty it had to be late, maybe three or four in the morning.

I heard a voice and turned towards it... and my mouth fell open. It was me, and other me was on the phone. "I can't believe you Eleanor. You abandoned me... on my birthday, just so you could get off with that Michéal guy. When you get this message call me, I'm heading home but I just want to make sure you're ok."

Wait a minute... I remember this. It's my 18th birthday. My friend Eleanor had gotten us fake I.D's and we had gone clubbing. But she hooked up with some guy she met there and left me.

Was this a memory? It was just so vivid. Why was I remembering this night? Nothing weird...

The thought trailed off as I continued to watch memory me. I don't remember what was happening now. Memory me was passing an alley entrance and three men came out of the shadows surrounding her... I mean me. God this was confusing.

As the three men surrounded memory me I could see a flash of fear which was quickly replaced with anger on her face. The taller of the three men stood in front of her and let out a laugh that was almost like a bark. His voice was low and rough as he spoke,

"Hey honey, looking for a party?"

Memory me just tried to walk past them but the tall one grabbed her arm.

"I'm talking to you."

In the same moment the tall guy swung her to face him she brought her hand up and slapped him in the face. I couldn't help the gasp that escaped from me as he punched memory me in the face. As I watched, too afraid to move, I was impressed when memory me just spat out the blood that was in her mouth straight into the bastards face.

"Is this how you get off. Three men beating on a girl half your size." She spat at him.

The fury that covered his face scared me. He took a step closer to her... and dropped to the ground howling holding his crotch. Memory me had lifted her leg and kicked him as hard as she could between the legs. Nobody moved for a second, everybody was too shocked. Of course it did only last a second. The remaining two attackers lunged screaming 'Bitch'.

I felt me... the real me... scream out but it was cut short when the attack didn't happen. I watched as in the blink of an eye first one, then the other man disappeared. I couldn't tear my eyes away as memory me looked around her in confusion, probably as confused as I was now.

Then he was standing in front of her... in front of me. This wasn't possible, I would have known if I had met him before. I whispered his name even though this was a memory and nobody could hear me...

"Nik!"

Memory me looked her would be hero up and down, clearly admiring him. When he spoke you could almost hear the smirk in his voice,

"Hello sweetheart, don't you know it's dangerous to be out on your own at night? It creates all these 'damsel in distress' moments."

Memory me flung her hair over her shoulder. I forgot how long my hair used to be. I also remembered that flick of my hair was a nervous habit. I only flicked it like that when I was scared and trying to hide it. Memory me laughed, "I may be in distress, but I will never be a damsel in distress."

Nik smiled down at her. "I saw that love, it's probably why I decided to intervene on your behalf."

I couldn't understand this. The night of my 18th Eleanor had left me in the club, I walked the ten minute walk home and went to bed. None of this had happened. I think I would remember, especially the Nik part.

I blinked rapidly as suddenly I was standing in my New York bedroom. Memory me was sitting in front of the dressing table plaiting her hair. I quickly looked around the room and saw the calendar. This was the night of my 19th birthday.

Why was I remembering my birthdays?

There was a noise from the window and both me and memory me turned. Nik was standing there, his trademark smirk on his face. Memory me flung herself into his arms. I started backing up, this was crazy. What the hell was this, I asked myself for the millionth time. Maybe dying had done damage to my brain, distorting my memories.

"I didn't think you would come sweetheart." Memory me was saying to Nik, causing him to laugh.

"Sweetheart?" he asked.

Memory me sat on the bed, patting the space beside her. When Nik sat down she straddled his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"The first time I met you, you called me sweetheart after saving my life. You never told me your name, so..."

With that she crashed her lips down onto his. I blushed and turned away. Even though it was me I still felt like I was intruding. It started getting very intense until finally... and thankfully... it was the next morning. Memory me was lying on the bed watching Nik as he got dressed.

"You're going to do it again, aren't you? You're going to make me forget." She pouted.

He sat on the bed and tilted her chin until she was looking him in the eye.

"I would rather not," he began, his eyes dilating, "I would love to take you away and keep you. But it has to be this way. There is defiantly something about you that makes me feel... almost human. And I'm afraid I cannot allow that weakness. So I will settle for this. Yesterday was your birthday, but you weren't feeling well. You decided to stay in and meet your friends tonight instead. I wasn't here, you have never met me. You won't remember our time together until you see me next year on your birthday."

Memory me blinked rapidly, she was alone in her bedroom once more. Then the scene before me shifted again. I was still in the bedroom but memory me wasn't in the bed anymore. She was walking in through the door and she was on the phone,

"I know it's my birthday, but I promised mom we would spend it together. We can go out and get drunk tomorrow night, I promise... ok... love you too Eleanor, tell Michéal I said hi... bye..."

She hung up the phone and spoke out to the room, "You're late!"

I spun at the laughter behind me. It was Nik. As I watched it was basically a repeat of the previous memory. This time, however, as they lay in bed I moved closer. Memory me was half asleep, her head was on Nik's chest and she was trailing her fingers over his bare stomach. But that wasn't what drew my attention. It was Nik, his arms were wrapped around memory me, holding her to him tightly, but his face... I had never seen anyone him, or anyone for that matter, look at me like that. It was like I was the only person in the world.

My breath caught in my throat as he bent his head, pressing his lips in her hair, memory me lifted her face, she mirrored his expression. Nik stroked her cheek with his thumb. She knew what was coming as he compelled her once more.

********

I was back in my study in Mystic Falls, Jeremy and Caroline were looking at me with... yep, once again... worried looks. I let out a breath I hadn't realised I was holding in. I looked at Caroline,

 "What the hell was that?"