Almost

The day of my birth, my death began its walk. It's walking towards me, without hurrying. -Jean Cocteau

"The beach?" I asked groggily, wiping my tear dried, red eyes in an effort to wake myself up.

"Mhm~! All the zodiacs are going there. It's kinda a tradition." He shrugged.

"Do I have a choice?"

"Nope. You're coming and we're going to Stag Beetles and make sand castles and have fun~!" I smiled a bit at his enthusiasm.

"Tohru's going right?" I questioned, stretching my arms.

"Yep I think she is going to start packing soon."

"This could be a good time to get close to her." I grinned as he flustered a bit.

"I told you. I'm not going to have a crush if it means losing my best friend." Momiji said firmly.

I rolled my eyes and punched his shoulder.

"Ow! Hinata's abusing me again!" He whined.

"I'm not going anywhere dummy. You can't help how you feel and as your best friend it is my job to support you. Don't worry about me." I rifled his curly blond locks he grinned and threw his arms around me.

Poof!

"Again Momiji? Really?"

"Hehe sorry."
🌻🐰🌻🐰🌻🐰🌻🐰🌻🐰🌻🐰🌻

"Hinata? Can I talk to you for a bit?" I blinked and grimaced at the all too familiar face of Hideaki Hayashi, my biological brother, stood in front of my desk.

I nodded and slowly and he smiled tersely.

"I want to talk about America." He began.

"Unless it's a geographic question, I'm afraid we have nothing to discuss."

"Hinata, just hear me out for a second." He pleaded. "They can help you in America. Your disability could disappear if you got the right surgery! You know what it is right? Why the medicine you get doesn't help you anymore?"

I clenched my fists and looked to make sure Megumi or Momiji weren't nearby.

"It's not just Systolic Heart Failure(1). You know that, don't you? You have
Arrhythmias(2). You know they can't treat it here."

I bit my lip and turned away. Around New Years, the doctor had confirmed I did indeed have Arrhythmias, a disease which made me incredibly vulnerable to heart attacks. Adding in my naturally weak heart, things aren't looking up for me.

My doctor estimated, unless they found a treatment, I would most likely die of a heart attack in 2 years, maybe less if I was active.

"What's the point of getting my disability treated, if I was taken away from everyone that cared for me?" I questioned slowly.

"Who? Your current caretaker Honda? She hasn't been very close to you from what my grandmother said and you aren't even adopted by her. You are still a Hayashi."

"Momiji Sohma? The rabbit? He likes Tohru. Those two would forget about you the moment they got together."

"Megumi? Haven't you always felt like you held him back? That he was capable of having more friends and chances without you?"

I dug my fingernails into my palm, drawing out a trickle of blood and shut my eyes. He was dragging out every nightmare, every fear I held in my mind and close to my tattered heart.