Chapter 9

It was dinner time when I arrived at my cabin, but I wasn't hungry.

Maybe I was just tired or maybe I was depressed. Things were never easy for me, I always had to fight tooth and claw to achieve anything in life. Whether it be becoming the strongest female in my pack or wrestling with my brothers for the last slice of pizza.

Living and suffering go hand in hand.

Still it wasn't fair considering all the pain and exhaustion I've been through to be beaten so easily by Hunter and then to submit in an instance. What would grandmother say?

Probably something along the lines "Quit this sulking and go get my slippers!" That crazy old coot always could make me smile. I missed her.

My stomach grumbled like a rapid animal gnawing at the end of its chain, despite what I might be feeling I have to eat to keep my strengths up. 'Not that it mattered since you're going to lose anyways' a little voice in my mind sneered at me. I felt a overwhelming sense of panic start to set in, wave after wave it washed over me.

What if I do lose? Hunter will be my mate. He'll want me to be Luna. I'll have so many wolves looking up to me. I don't know if I'm good enough.

A good Luna has to be strong, smart, and caring or else their pack will suffer from a snag in the chain of command. If a female believes the Luna to be incompetent then they could disobey, cause fights, riot, and inevitable challenge for the position. Being Hunter's mate can get me the spot but I have to keep it.

Scampering through the doggy door I trotted towards my kitchen, my favourite room in the whole cabin. Shifting I opened the fridge and stared at the most important decisions I'll make in the next five minutes. Succumbing to my sweet tooth I grabbed a bowl, milk, and the most delicious chemically induced cereal I could find. In a matter of minutes I was efficiently eating my problems with the help of Toucan Sam and his nephews.

My nakedness didn't bother me in the least, no one was in miles of living near me. My closest neighbour lived 5 minutes away and was a lovely old lady who invites me to dinner every Christmas. Definitely not within seeing distance.

Also, werewolves respected the human form as much as the wolf form, even in all its naked glory we found life beautiful. Constantly shifting and ripping clothes, while we don't prance around in the nude, skin was never embarrassing for us. Simply just another part of us.

Chewing softly, I watched the colourful loops bob to and fro between my spoon and in the milk. Tomorrow night at approximately 12:00 am the night of the full moon I'll be hunted for my freedom. It's not an easy thing to comprehend that I could actually not be here in the next two days, but instead bound to a man I know little to nothing about except he's a complete douchebag.

Bringing the edge of the bowl to my lips I gulped the remaining milk and then licked the wet white moustache I acquired by doing so. An uneasy feeling surrounded me and my body felt vulnerable, like I should be on guard of something. The question is, of what should I be afraid of.

Sighing I went to my room and grabbed my favourite black silk housecoat; it felt like I was wearing a air weighing almost nothing. It soothed my nerves like a child using a blanket to shield out the monsters from beneath their bed.

Walking back downstairs I began the dishes and hummed lightly to pass the time, I have never learned how to whistle so this was my only outlet at the moment.

My hands plunged into the soapy water and scrubbed at the dishes with my trusty steel wool. Time passed and the shaky feeling that I was being watched grew stronger, like two hands were inches from behind my shoulders. Drying the last of the plates I placed them ceremonially back into their places and finished up sweeping the floors.