Chapter 20

Content warning: This chapter contains mild adult themes.

After lunch, we returned to the tennis courts again. I was still enraged that Nima had thrown our match. We could have ended this whole silly charade, but instead we practically had to start over. Fortunately, I had anger on my side. I would harness it to plow through these matches like a wildfire through a dead forest.

Since I had already defeated Nima, she was free to rest, so long as I didn't lose. Kate brought her a foot stool and some ice for her ankle. Nima removed her shoe and applied the ice pack. She sat back in her chair and looked completely relaxed and content to watch the rest of the tournament.

Blake would be my first competitor. As he took the court, I ground my teeth, and then stopped myself. I had to focus, if I was going to power through this quickly. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply a few times to channel my rage into a sort of mental serenity. When I opened my eyes again, everything but Blake and the court had melted away. I was ready.

Like Nima, I had decided to serve first for every set, so that I could easily clinch the first two points. After only half an hour, I defeated Blake, and moved on to Justine. She was eager for a shot at redemption, and a second shot at the title, but her hunger for power paled in comparison to my anger and growing impatience for this tournament. It took no more time for me to decimate her than it had for me to defeat Blake. She walked off the court in tears.

After that, I hardly paid attention to who was on the other side of the court or what was happening around us. I simply hammered on the ball again and again with deadly accuracy, until there was no one left, and the other side of the court remained empty. After hours of play, I finally looked around to see what was keeping my next opponent from the court. Instead, I saw my mother rise from her chair and glide over to me.

"Congratulations, my daughter," she said in a magnanimous voice, shaking my hand. I raised my eyebrows at her. I could not remember the last time she had called me daughter. "You have reclaimed the title of queen. Long live the queen!" she bellowed, turning us to face the other residents, and raising my hand like I was a boxer in the ring.

"Long live the queen," the others murmured with varying levels of enthusiasm. I saw that Justine was still crying. Nima, on the other hand, was beaming. This had been her plan all along. I narrowed my eyes at her, but she didn't seem to notice. The end of the tournament felt a bit anticlimactic, and I awkwardly walked over to sit down next to Nima.

"Well done," she said with a friendly smile, patting me gently on the back of my shoulder.

"It should have been yours," I said broodingly.

"Well, it's not," she replied dismissively.

"How does it feel?" I changed the subject, pointing to her ankle.

"It hurts, but it's getting better. This quick healing business is pretty great. I bet I'll be right as rain by morning."

"Maybe," I mumbled. "But you should still take it easy for a few days."

"Yes, Doctor Grumpy, sir," she teased with a mock salute.

"Whatever," I said standing up. "Let's go get ready for dinner." I helped her up out of her chair and back to the compound. We said nothing more on our way inside or in the lineup on the way to dinner. When I had finished my meal, I excused myself and returned to my room without another word to anyone.

The next morning, I had calmed down considerably, but I was still a little peeved as I went out alone for my run. I felt guilty for the way I had treated Nima, and I wanted to make it up to her. But, I was also embarrassed by my behavior. I wasn't sure what I could say to make it right, so I continued to avoid her throughout the day. To that end, I chose to spend my day in the depths of the library, hoping that no one would come looking for me.