Child

This is chapter 32.

Sorry for the long update! I wish I could go back to my holidays, or I could go forward to my future holidays. Sigh.

Anyway, TheWattys is up! I'll try to enter this story again into TheWattys! I hope that you guys would support me in any way possible. Thanks! ^^

---

A faint and indescribable fragrance fills the luxuriously-decorated room, the source of it is from the copper incense burner placed in the corner of the room, on a wooden table with carvings of plum flowers. Right across the incense burner, sits a woman on a tiger-embroidered red cushion, her fingers trailing the edges of her high hairdo which has been fastened with several silver pins. She looks into the mirror, still feeling unsatisfied. Hence, she lifts up the lid of her accessory box, takes out a pair of white jade earrings and replaces her green ones with them.

"So, you are Autumn?" She asks, still focusing on taking out her earrings.

"Y-yes, Prince Consort." Autumn, whose face has been cleaned and outfit has been changed into a proper one, curtsies deeply behind her new master. Third Prince has just released Autumn after Jade's plea, and ordered her to serve his Prince Consort Yang.

"Since you are now serving me, you are my person. I will of course never mistreat you."

"Yo-your servant thank Prince Consort!"

"You may go down first."

"Yes."

One last flick and her earrings have settled perfectly in the most gracious way in their own positions, dangling and swaying with each movement she makes. Her fingers once again grace the earrings then she feels satisfied. When the doors to her bedchamber have been closed, she chuckles silently as she pushes herself up from her seat. Her servant rushes to close her accessory box and keeps it in the drawer.

"I am Third Prince's Consort, thus my loyalty belongs only to him. I am born to become the Empress. Anyone who is in Third Prince's way are naturally my enemies too. That is why none of Third Prince's people should ever be friends with Crown Prince's people, or they may become traitors."

---

That day, the heat has finally had mercy on people. The season is slowly changing into autumn. Only certain trees' leaves have browned and they wither, fall off their trees following the direction of the gentle soothing wind that blows in a whispering manner. The clouds are soft, a colour that perfectly blends with the blueness of the sky. In his palace, he relaxes on his cushion, his right hand supporting his upper body while he faces left, his eyes never leaving the figure of a woman in pink clothes that flutter as she dances along to the zither play by a palace's musician. Sitting beside him is his Crown Princess. Her smile never fades, though her loyal servant seems to be unhappy with how the Mistress earns the favour of Crown Prince more than her master.

She has to admit that Jade's dance is not perfect, nor can it be considered good. Some of her movements are awkward. But Crown Prince's eyes have never left her, not even once. It is a look of fascination, happiness, love, all mixed in one. Those looks have never existed between her parents, certainly. Their marriage was arranged, just like her marriage to the Crown Prince. She is envious of Jade, who can receive such a loving look from Crown Prince. Still, she is not the type to fight. She has only been taught how to be a loyal and fervent wife, so that her husband will love her.

Thud!

"Jade!" Pushing away the wooden table with precious porcelain cups on it, Crown Prince rushes towards Jade who seems to have lost her balance as she dances. The cups fall onto the wooden floor, slightly chipped off.