Secretly Famous Part 23

Part 23

”What do you mean you are not getting married this summer?” Mrs Gregory looks at us angrily with her lips pressed together.

”Mom please,” Matt begs. ”Don’t get upset.”

”I thought you two were already halfway in the planning!”

We are standing in her hallway, I am carrying Lilee and she is looking curiously at her grandmother.

”It’s my fault,” I admit. ”My job will be hectic this summer since we decided that Matt should stay home with Lilee. It will be better to do it next year when she is a bit older.”

”If you are working, then you can buy a house. I refuse to let my grandchild grow up inside an apartment building. She needs a garden to play around in.”

”Your right,” I say guilty. ”I always lived in a house, we will start looking as soon as possible for a good house.”

”Wait what?” Matt exclaims happily. ”Are you really going to buy us a house?”

”We, Matt. We are buying a house. Is that a good compromise Mrs Gregory?”

She nods.

”But I am still disappointed. I was really looking forward to your wedding this year.”

”Well mom, we can always go to Las Vegas if you want me married that badly,” Matt says mockingly.

”No absolutely not!” his mom yells horrified.

”Don’t be so mean Matt!” I punch his shoulder with my free hand and he just leans in to give me a quick kiss that makes me weak to my knees. Lilee starts whining and I start heading to the door. ”Thank you for looking after her, we better go home so she can have her sleep.”

”Anytime Molly. Just drop her off, I love having her here.”

”Bye, mom,” Matt says and we leave the house.

We get into the car and Matt starts driving us home.

”Do you really want to buy a house for us?”

”Of course, why not?” I ask him confused.

”You never said anything, you are so happy with the smallest things even though you live a luxurious life.”

”I can’t be selfish anymore, you two need to have some use of it too.”

”It doesn’t feel right to use your money Molly.”

”It’s not dirty money, they won’t bite you,” I joke. ”It’s not like I can use them all alone. Tell me what your dream house looks like.”

I look at him curiously. It takes a few minutes before he answers me.

”I want an indoor swimming pool. For you it would be better with a private gym and have a private instructor coming over. A workplace for you and maybe a small studio where you can work with your songs.”

”That house is going to be quite huge and expensive. It sounds perfect for me, but what about you?”

”Don’t you get it? I live for you, I only want what you need.”

His answer almost makes me cry.

”I am going to find the perfect house for us where we can live as a family,” I promise him.