Abomination - Reptilian eyes

Raelynn's P.O.V.

The cold air startles me awake, and I roll over, expecting to feel Stiles's warmth, but there's nothing. I prop myself up on my elbows, confused when I see I'm still in my clothes, and look around. My room is empty, but there's a note on my bedside table from Stiles, telling me that Sheriff is at work and he's at the mechanic. I flop back down, sighing with a smile on my face.

I look at the clock and see that it's not late, so I head downstairs for some cocoa. The TV has nothing interesting on, so in the end I pick a thick book from a pile by the fire and read, my cellphone in my bathrobe pocket. It rings, annoyingly, as I doze off. Seeing that it's Stiles, I answer it immediately.

"Hey," I say gently. "Wishing that you'd taken up my offer of me fixing the Jeep?" When there's nothing but background noise, my heartbeat picks up. "Stiles?"

"Rae-" It sounds forced, and slightly pained.

"Stiles!" I say loudly, standing up. I grab my car keys and my jacket, rushing outside. "Are you still at the mechanics?"

"Yea-"

"Don't move," I order. "Unless you're in trouble. Then get the hell out of there."

"I ca - Ra-"

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I say, getting in the car and driving like a madman. I don't know where the mechanic is, so I go with my gut and follow the signs, but when I get there, an ambulance and police cars are waiting. My mind flips into overdrive, and I push my hands through my hair. "Stiles!" People are walking around me, glancing my way as I panic, finding it unable to breathe. "Stiles!"

"Rae!" he calls, and I turn and run towards him, using my last breath to get to him.

"Stiles, oh my God!" I cry, holding him close to me. He squeezes me back, his arms around my waist. Sheriff smiles down at me as I smile at him, but I don't let Stiles go. Stiles pulls back and looks into my eyes, and I hold his head in my hands and kiss him several times. "What the hell happened. Why - what - oh, God."

"I'm okay," he sighs, tangling his fingers in my hair as he hugs me again.

"Stiles," Sheriff says, indicating that they were having a conversation before I came running in. He fills me in on what happened, and by the end of it my hand is over my mouth in shock, my other hand clinging to the front of Stiles's hoodie.
Stiles doesn't let go of me, but walks back over to his dad who is stood by the ambulance. "I told you, I just - I walked in and saw the Jeep on top of the guy, that's all."

"What's wrong with your hand?" Sheriff asks, looking down at Stiles's right hand, and I notice that it's limp.

"Nothing. Can I just get out of here now?"

"Look, if there's something you don't think you can tell me-"

"You think I'm lying?" Stiles interrupts.

"No, of course not," Sheriff says quickly. I keep my eyes cast down on the floor, not wanting to intrude on their conversation. "I'm just worried about you. Now, if you saw someone do this, if you're afraid that maybe they're gonna come back and make sure you don't say anything about it-"

"I didn't see anything," Stiles says, but I hear his heart pick up. "At all. Can I go now please?"

Sheriff nods. "Sure. But not in your Jeep. We're gonna have to impound it." Stiles gapes at his dad as I smirk. "Sorry, kid, evidence. See you at home. You, too, Rae."

"All right, well, at least make sure they wash it," Stiles says.

"Bye," I call, waving with a smile. I turn to Stiles and smirk. "Looks like we'll be taking my Impala everywhere for a while, huh?"

He nods, looking at the floor, and walking off. He gets silently into the passenger seat of the Impala, and my eyebrows furrow as I follow him into the driver's seat. "Could you call Scott, please?"

I nod, getting out my phone but pausing, biting my lip. "Stiles, wh - What happened?"

"My dad-"

"Told me what you told him," I say, putting my phone in my pocket and shuffling closer. I like the fact that my car has to break between the seats, because it means I can do this. He leans into my palms as I put my hands on his face. "Hey. Talk to me. What happened?" And he tells me. Just like that. And it sounds awful.

I kiss his lips, pressing my forehead against his. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he sighs, playing with my hands. I smile as he does so. "Scott was right. It's not like you. I mean, it's eyes were almost like, reptilian. But there was something about them."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You know when you see, like, a friend in a Halloween mask, but all you can actually see are their eyes and you feel like you know 'em but you just can't figure out who it is?"

I nod, but then become confused. "Are you saying you know who it is?"

"No," he shakes his head as I pull back. "But I think it knew me."

I hold his right hand up, and I know it's a lot less limp now. "What happened to your hand?"

"There was something on the door handle," he says, getting a little cringed out which makes me smile. "Then - I don't know, I couldn't move. My hands started first, and then I collapsed to the floor."

"Which is why you couldn't really talk," I clarify, and he nods. "I panicked."

"I heard," he smiles, leaning in and kissing me. "A lot." I laugh, and he pauses, running his hand through my hair. "I love your laugh." I smile, and he kisses the tip of my nose, making me laugh again. "It's like a toddler."

"Hey!" I scold, but I still laugh. I move back over to the driver's side and start up the car, handing him my phone to call Scott and tell him what happened.

"Where are my keys?" Stiles asks frantically as I come downstairs, my bag on my shoulder.

I laugh when I see him running about, and I shake my head. "Your dad impounded your Jeep, remember?" I flick my braid and he stops, staring at me as I dangle my keys out. "Which means, it's my turn to drive."