New Allies

“All right, so we have Sir Dagonet, Sir Ector, Sir Kay, Sir Bedivere, Sir Bleobris, Sir Blamor, and Sir Bors. That makes…seven knights. Well at least were ahead by seven.” Ector sat in his father’s chair at the round table, the other knights sat in their respective seats. Llewiquin arrived to Camelot to Ector’s delight to see how the king was recovering. Ector offered the prince the seat of Launcelot, though this was after Ector had discussed the issue with the other knights.

Ulrich, who was now Sir Kay’s squire was in the castle’s kitchen attending to the men’s meals. Though he was rigid with the young man, Kay would give encouragement saying the finest knight he ever knew started as a “kitchen-boy”. As the knights meals were served Ulrich stood nearby his master as the meeting continued.

“Are there any other lords we can look to for aid?” asked Ector.

Sir Bors spoke first, “Maybe the Mercians, but this new king tends to be leaning towards the policies of the King of Orkney and Dore.”

“Oh those two bumblers. I’m surprised they haven’t been overthrown yet,” replied Bleobris.

“They have friends in high places, and The Order seems to have an interest into the security of their kingships,” followed Sir Ector.

“Wait a minute, what’s the order?” asked King Ector.

Llewiquin spoke, “The order was established in regions that the Roman Empire withdrew prior to the Aurelian Rebirth. It began has local chapter houses that grew into an international order. They answer to no one king, but only to those within their sect.”

King Ector was intrigued. “Are these the men who wear the singular colored armor?”

“Exactly, the most famous chapters are the Red, the Green, the White and the Black Knights. Red knights are known for their strength and skill in combat. One knight supposedly fought a hundred men, and none of the defenders survived the encounter…”

King Ector was astounded, “I beg your pardon, but one Red Knight attacked a castle of a hundred men…and killed them all?”

“He was very determined,” said Sir Bors.

Llewiquin continued, though he was amused at Ector’s amazement, “The Green knights are known for their guile and cunning, but few dare to face these knights in open combat. White Knights are the leaders of the order and they tend to spend more time discussing the whole order’s next move and tournaments than partaking in actual battle.”

“I can assume the tournaments are in case they have to eventually partake in combat?” King Ector asked.

“Exactly, but the most infamous members of the order are the black knights. These are men who’ve joined looking for redemption for what they feel are a lifetime of sin that can absolved through renowned deeds, and death in the service the Order’s purpose.”

Wasn’t that like another group in a video game somewhere?, Ector thought, but he dropped the thought quickly. “So I take it they wouldn’t like to see those two fall from grace?” Ector asked Llewiquin.

“I’m certain they’d tried to prevent that from happening, but The Order does work in ways that are impossible to understand.”

Kay chuckled, “I guess they’d be good company for Merlin then.”

“Not really,” replied the mage with a smile, “I find their culture too stagnating.”

Kay turned to the mage, “For once you said something that truly took me by surprise.”