Chapter Six

MARLEY

"It's a tragedy, she was so young and bright."

"Does her family know yet?"

"Poor Adam, he probably doesn't have a clue."

Their voices swirl around my mind and the desire for answers burns deeper. Everyone is talking like I'm dead, but there's no way I can be because then I'd be somewhere else, right?

What's worse than everyone assuming I'm dead is the fact Trent is the only one who can see me. Why can't it be my best friend? At least Trent isn't afraid now.

I stop walking when I pass the beaten up water fountain. I swirl around and sigh at the empty hallway. I've never been this alone before.

I drop to the ground and lean against the bricked wall. I curl my knees to my chest and I press my face into my legs and cry.

My poor parents and Adam. I hope he doesn't find out through Facebook, but there's always one person who likes to post things on social media.

"I can't be dead." I sniffle.

My voice sounds foreign, and the words, cold and unrealistic.

Approaching footsteps capture my attention. Trent hesitantly shuffles forward with his hands pushed into his trouser pockets.

"What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't leave you."

"Oh." My grip tightens around my legs.

"I'm freaking out, you're freaking out, I guess we can freak out together." Despite his body shaking, he tugs on a half-smile. "I don't understand how I can see you, but I can and I can't leave you alone in a time like this."

"Are you afraid I'll haunt you?" I chuckle.

"Maybe." He sheepishly nods.

"Do you think I'm dead?"

"I um, I don't know." He shrugs. "You're the first ghost I've seen."

"The bandage on my head is the only thing stopping me from having a mental breakdown."

"Perhaps you're in a coma? That wouldn't be uncommon from a brain injury."

"Coma sounds better than death."

"You're young, healthy and strong. You can recover from this."

"I freaking hope so."

The school bell rings and we stare at each other.

"Do you want to come to mine?"

"Yes, thank you."

He offers me his hand and I stare at it.

"Something wrong?"

"I don't know if I can touch you."

"Right, you're a ghost." He sighs.

I stare at his hand and place mine on his. Trent's fingers curl around my fingers and I gasp. My hand falls through his and I tumble through the wall and into the science class. Squeezing my eyes shut, I jump forward and bang my head into the wall.

What the hell?

The door opens and Trent pokes his head inside.

"Marley?"

"I'm right here." I wave.

"Come on, let's get out of here."

"Okay." I nod.

I follow Trent down the hallway, but I stop when I catch a glimpse of Sarah. She's leaning against my locker and Josh is holding her hand.

"Do you want a minute?" He mumbles under his breath.

"Um." I take a deep breath. "Not really. I can't watch anyone else I care about cry over me."

"Do you have any siblings that attend here?"

"Yes, but Adam is off sick today."

"You're not talking about Adam Peterson are you?"

"He's my brother."

* * * * *