Chapter Nine

Word Count: 1677

~Mara

"Well well well, what do we have here?"

Kaden sits smugly in his seat, peering at me through the window. He looks as if he's just won the biggest prize in the lottery, by stealing someone else's ticket.

I take a moment to assess the situation.

I could run. I want to run. If I run down the road, I'll make it as far as a few metres before he catches up. If I run back across the grass I'll be faced with the Vengeance Pack wall, where he can easily corner me. If I get on the car, I'll die. If I run across the other side of the road, I'll make it to the woods, where I may have a chance of getting away.

But I need to make sure he doesn't expect it.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing," he muses. His lips tug up in a smile that can only be described as evil. He is evil. And he knows it.

"Leaving," I state proudly. His expression suddenly morphs into one of shock, like he can't believe I'm actually sticking up to him. He probably expects me to run. This is what I want him to think. That I'm truly standing up to him, rather than plotting my escape.

He grins. "Without my permission?"

My eyes narrow at him. His permission.

"Does your husband know?"

"We aren't married yet," I mutter. He suddenly leans over the passenger seat, and pops the door open. It's like an invitation. Cool air from the air conditioning blows onto my legs, trying to entice me in with its icy fingers.

Does he seriously think he's going to hop into his car and ride off into the sunset with him? He's seriously lost it in his head, because that's the last thing I'm planning on doing.

"Great. That means you're mine for today. We have a lot to discuss..."

"Discuss? I'm not interested in another one of your games," I tell him. He sighs deeply, looking ahead of him. Cars still whizzed past, hardly noticing what is going on here at the side of the road.

"Games are fun," is all he says.

"Funnily enough I don't find your punishment fun."

"Get in the car, and I'll show you how fun my punishment can be," he says, a devilishly handsome smile on his face. I grit my teeth together in disgust.

Suddenly, an idea pops into my head. "I will, on one condition."

He narrows his eyes at me. Instantly I can tell he is curious. A condition is something he can manipulate; I can tell by the look on his eyes. But this is something he could never manipulate...

"If you give me a drink bottle."

He blanches. I hold back a smug smile. He had no idea what is swimming around in my mind right now.

"You want water?"

"Yes please."

He sighs. "You're wasting my gas."

"And I will continue to, until you give me what I want."

"I could walk out of this car and ruin your ass in front of everyone on this road right now," he says.

A low growl of anger surfaces in my throat.

"But, since I enjoy your surprising antics, I will give you what you want," he muses. He leans over to his cup holder, that contains a half empty bottle of water. He tosses it at me and I manage to catch it.