06|MIDNIGHT MAHEM

Night was the usual victim for their mayhem. The glistening darkness was theirs for the taking and they started by finding a diner that wasn't crowded by returning war soldiers. It was a Saturday night and the people of the city were either sleeping or out dancing. However, Jojo and William were doing neither, instead they were spending time with their young son, Adam. Harold and Rosa were undoubtedly fast asleep, along with Nico. Kepler was most likely out with some sweetheart he picked up from college. Bucky, Ally and Steve? They were on their way to Red's Diner.

The tiny diner huddled among the city buildings was washed out by the hundreds of people who passed by it, never stopping to look twice. The faded sign that read 'Red's Diner' was never replaced and the only thing left was 'R Din'. The half a dozen customers would glance up from their newspaper or jumbled thoughts when the door swung open, followed by a blast of wind. The customers returned to their conversations as the door swung closed behind the new entrant and the breeze was long forgotten. Unlike the dingy outside, the interior of the diner was welcoming and merry, with bright red lights and colourful walls. It was always the same customers, so when Bucky, Ally and Steve were the first newcomers in what seemed like forever, everyone was rather bewildered.

Old war heroes, widowed women, the homeless and many unusual people sat around the tables, drinking the free coffee refills the diner supplied. The three of them shuffled in and took a seat near a man wearing a few sparkling badges, and a young woman dressed in rags.

"Lovely out, isn't it?" The young woman questioned, giving off a friendly smile.

"Oh truly," Ally returned the kind gesture, picking up a menu. "Not too hot and not too cold."

"I recommend the martini if you plan to drink," the woman pointed at the menu. "Hobbs over their makes them real nice." she points to the tall man tending the small bar, pouring some liquor over a glass of ice. "Or the pasta with marinara."

"Oh we aren't planning to drink–"

"Sure we are," Bucky interrupted. "What's your name doll? I'll buy you a drink too."

Ally immediately looked down at her lap, playing with her fingers as she waited for the young woman's response.

"Victoria, but they call me Vic here at Red's."

"Two martini's for the girls, and what about you big guy?" Bucky asked the man wearing the sparkling badges beside Vic. "What can I get you?"

Almost shocked, the elderly man replied gratefully to Bucky. "I'll take whatever you and the little guy is taking."

It was Steve's turn to look down at his lap, he really hated being called little. He returned to his usual lopsided smile and said he'd just have a beer, looking back at Vic who was chatting up a storm with Bucky. Ally bit the inside of her cheek, suddenly wishing she was back at the base with Ruthie Murray and Dr. Erskine.

Vic was your usual tale of unfortunate. She had everything before she was cheated by life. Her fiancé died of hyperthermia and her parents lived in Queens. She wasn't doing too bad though, she could afford food and worked at the factories on Sundays. She slept on park benches and she always found a way to manage when it got cold. For those reasons, Ally admired Vic but she didn't like the way Vic was looking at Bucky.

In the gloom of the diner, the only comfort she found was when her and Bucky's knees almost touched under the narrow table. She wanted to whisper to Bucky, tell him the bad truth gently. Tell him that she had been lying the entire time and he should know the real reason she was apart of the war. He deserved that. Though that didn't happen, their newly found friends were competing with one another to be heard above their collective conversation. In her head, she had the whole conversation planned but it was silenced from Vic and the war hero, Leeroy, talking louder than needed. Ally just kept sipping her drink, watching a few newly scattered raindrops race down the window.