Chapter 16

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

The Middle - Zedd
And I'm unaware
Of just how we got
Into this mess
Got so aggressive

***

The next day, I find myself getting dressed for work rather than for going to the ranch.

I will admit, I am particularly fond of the café's lax dress code. As long as our clothes offer sufficient coverage, and are black and white, we're fine.

Today, I slip into an off-the-shoulder black and white striped top, and a pair of high-waisted black pants. Feeling a little bolder than usual, I accessorize with a red headband and red pumps, adding a little character to the outfit.

My hair is done in loose curls that, when paired with a red headband and pin-up style eyeliner, give me a girl-next-door look that I've found tends to scrape in better tips. A quick glance in the mirror and I'm good to go.

As I go to leave the house, I notice Wally prancing around my feet, begging for attention. I scoop the dog up, hugging him loosely to my chest.

"Hey little boy," I chuckle as he nuzzles into the crook of my neck. I place a kiss on the top of his head before setting him back on the ground.

I grab my keys off the counter and climb into my car. The traffic is worse than usual, and though my eyes stay fixed on the road, my mind starts to wander.

I can't stop replaying yesterday in my mind.

Being around Tyler is comfortable and easy, and I really did have fun teaching him to dance.

But if Tilly had not walked in when she did, I would have kissed him.

And I can't kiss him.

Tyler is good and pure. He manages to be an optimist despite the ugliness of the world.

But I'm dark and damaged. I am thunder and lightning and all things beautiful and dangerous. A rose with poisoned thorns.

And I don't want to hurt him.

Besides.

The whole reason we were dancing yesterday was because he's found a girl.

He obviously doesn't feel towards me the pull I feel to him.

But if that's true, why did he look so upset- almost betrayed- when he walked in on Levi and I yesterday.

'He was just shocked,' I think to myself. 'Please tell me you're not naïve enough to think he was jealous.'

Upon arriving to work, I'm greeted with a whirlwind of customers. Sunday mornings are always busy, as people often come in for coffee after church.

"I'm sorry I'm late," I apologize to Trinity as I tie on my monogrammed black apron. "Killer traffic- I think there was a fender bender or something."

She smiles, scooping up a few drinks in her arms.

"No worries," she assures. "Besides, you know Charles isn't strict."

The first few hours of my shift go by relatively smoothly, aside from an accidental drink mix-up (but I'm only human, right?)

In fact, I'm so focused on work that I've completely forgotten about everything that occurred yesterday.

That is, until Tyler enters the café.

With a very, very pretty girl in tow.

Long brown hair that flows down her back, and soft doe eyes that could bring a man to his knees.