28: Mila- Different Worlds

are we right for each other?

****

THERE WAS AN eerie silence after I told Enzo everything that has happened with this situation so far.

I was surprised when Enzo suddenly pulled me into a bear hug, that was when I realized I was crying.

"Hey," he gently finger combed through my hair, kissing the top of my head. "It's going to be all right. Do you trust me?"

I nodded into his shoulder. By now I could already feel a patch of his shirt wet from where I was crying into.

"Good," he hugged me tighter while grabbing my hand and kissing the back of it. "Then believe me when I say everything is going to be all right, I told you before."

"I was," I softly smiled at him. "But I don't care about his threats, because that's what they are, threats, nothing more. Besides, you're here with me; not him."

"I just can't help but feel that something will go wrong," I wipe away a stray tear.

"That's understandable," Enzo said, looking deep in thought. "Have you thought about getting a bodyguard? I'm sure with your mom could provide you one."

"I don't want to tell her," I shook my head. "No way in hell."

"What, why?" He looked perplexed.

"She'll make me move back Enzo. She'll pay off the school so that I can graduate early and start working for her." I answer, feeling adamant about my decision as more time passed.

"Must be nice," I heard Enzo say under his breath. It was so quiet, if it wasn't for the fact that it was completely silent I wouldn't have been able to hear him.

"What do you mean by that?" I pull away from his embrace, my tone incredulous.

"I'm just saying that it's nice to be privileged enough to have your mom do that for you." Enzo replied, his voice louder this time, more sure of the statement.

"Well, some people don't want their parents micromanaging their entire life." I felt myself slowly getting angry based on the sound of my voice.

"Wow Mila," he rolled his eyes, this time completely letting me go. "At least you have a parent that cares enough to get you out of a dangerous situation."

"Enzo," I was reeling. "Shut up before we say something we both regret."

"Honestly Mila?" He sat down on a chair, putting his head in his hands. "You were the one who hid this from me. I'm the one who should feel angry. I get that you want to solve this yourself, but hey. Why tell your dumb, poor boyfriend right?"

"Enzo, that's not why I didn't say anything!" I yelled, which prompted him to get up. "You're overreacting."

"Me?" He laughed pointing at himself. "Right, the one that has the fucking stalker is saying that. How dumb do you honestly think I am? Did you think that by dating me, it's your last shot to rebel against your mom? After we break up you'll date a rich guy your mom picked out for you?"

"Oh, shut the fuck up," I noticed tears coming to my eyes. "I forgave you for making me a prize in your stupid bet. Do you know how objectified I felt?"

"I don't think you should've forgiven me," he says shaking his head. "We're from different worlds. It wasn't ever going to truly work out between us anyway."

"Stop saying that Enzo," I reach out to touch but he flinches. "Enzo, please I'm sorry."

"No, Mila," he answered. "You have someone who cares about you and you don't think to tell that you need help. You're a fucking heiress for god's sake."

"I didn't want to be controlled," my voice breaks. "I didn't want to end up like my sister."

He sighs, looking defeated and runs his hands through his hair.

"We're too different from each other. Do you know how much power you have with the amount of money your family has? Do you know how many people kill to have that kind of money?"

"What do you mean?" My eyes snap up to see Enzo's disheveled expression.

"The reason why I came over was because I dreamt about the time my dad left my mom and I to deal with his debts."

"Oh my god," I gasp.

"Stop," he steps away as I try to get closer to him. "I don't want your pity."

"Just listen to me," I grabbed his arm. "Enzo, don't let this ruin what we have."

"Nothing ruined it," it looked as if he wore a mask. "You did."

"You don't have the right to say that to me," I snapped. "Do you know how much I put myself on the line for you? I defended you in front of my mom and then I find out I was a prize? Did it not occur to you that people shouldn't be treated like possessions?"

"Then why are you still with me?" He shouted. "Why let yourself be treated like this? I know I'm the bad person in this situation then why agree to a second chance?"

"Fuck, I don't know," I reply. "I like you so much Enzo, you don't understand."

"Just because you like me doesn't mean you should let yourself be treated like shit. You deserve better and finding those messages on my own proved that to me. If you trusted me more, you would've told me on your own." He let out a heavy sigh and brushed away a tear I couldn't even feel.

"Stop," I place my hand on his chest, with no strength to push him away. "I do trust you, I just didn't want you to get hurt."

"We both did wrong," he gave a sad smile. "Doesn't mean that two wrongs become right. I'm sorry for making you doubt yourself."

"Are you breaking up with me?" I choke on a sob. "Please Enzo, let's just take things slow then. I swear we'll communicate better."

"What I did to you was terrible Mila," he shook his head. "I didn't ask then, but why did you forgive me?"

"Because I love you goddammit!"