Chapter treinta

Today is the day. We are driving home and I can't wait, because the girls agreed on going shopping with me and Bradley on Thursday. Of course I'm sad, because I really enjoyed the mountains. I always do when we come here.

"I can't believe we finally won." I hear Zada say, while packing my clothes into the suitcase. Oh yeah, we won. Yesterday was the last day of the competitions and it seems like without Chase Westfield his school is a loser.

But to be honest, they seemed pretty tired. I heard they had a little ant accident in their cabins in the middle of the night. But still, they lost.

Literally, they even made it as third. Obviously Jefferson made it second and we won, for the first time in years, decades even.

"Me neither. But you were amazing, just like the rest of our school." I tell her, making her blush at my compliment. I zip up my suitcase and pull it down on the ground.
"I'm done." I tell her, just when she finishes up.

"Me too." She sits down on her bed. I walk over to her, sitting next to her on the bed and sigh.

"I still don't know how you got the girls to agree without telling them his secret." I say and look at the clock. It's almost twelve. We should get going.

"Well you know how they are noisy little raccoons? Well I just told them, I'd tell them something afterwards and they agreed." I laugh after she said that. I would've done the same, but didn't want to deal with it.

"Clever. But hey, we have to go." I tell her and she looks at the clock and nods. Here we go. I take a last look at the room. Because I'm graduating this year and well, this is the last time I'm ever going on a BHWF. If I don't fail, that is. But I'm pretty sure I won't. I know for a fact that I'm definitely going to come back to the mountains, though.

"Come on. We're gonna be late." I look back at Zada waiting impatiently at the door. I nod and make my way over to her. I feel like it's only now that I realize everything is going to change after this year. I still don't know which college I want to go to and I know for a fact that Zada and I will go separate ways. Somehow this day just got a little sad.

><><><><

I sigh in relieve when I finally get up to my room and fall into my soft bed. I hear a low chuckle from the doorframe and a second later my suitcase is placed on the ground.

"Thank you." I turn around to look at Hades. He seems kind of exhausted as well, but throws me a smile.
"No prob." He says and before he could leave, my mom and his grandma are by his side, smiling widely at us.

"Kids, we baked pie. Come down and tell us about your trip." My mother orders and I nod and stand up from my comfy bed. Hades follows close behind me and I can hear him yawn.

"Here." Mom hands me a piece of her yummy apple pie and I thank her and sit down on the dinner table next to Maria. I'm so happy she's alright again. She doesn't even wear a cast anymore.

"Thank you." I hear Hades say and sit down next to me. My mom served herself a piece and sat down eventually. We all take a bite and compliment my mother and Maria. Of course they take their sweet time and compliment each other.

"No it was your recipe that made it so good." I hear Maria argue.
"But your advice with the sugar gave it the perfect kick." Mom answers.
"Speaking of sugar." Maria turns to me and Hades.

"How was your guys' trip?" She asks us. Smooth.
"It was nice. We won this year." I tell her and she nods.
"Wow and what did you do to help winning?" She asks us, but looks at a gulping Hades. Oh no. She knows.

"Well, we didn't really do anything." He clears his throat, glancing at me. I gulp when Maria hums. They both know. Definitely. Why didn't I think about that earlier? They never baked a pie just to hear about our trip.