Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Chase

The entire evening was going perfectly. Hailey had loved the picnic I had planned for her in the little greenhouse on the edge of the territory. I loved it too, especially when she somehow got spaghetti sauce on her nose by slurping up the noodle and it flipping up and hitting her. She had gotten so embarrassed that her normally pale skin had turned fire truck red. It was adorable. 

Now we were sippi champagne while stargazing, leaning back on our hands. 

"And there's the big dipper," I pointed up, and she scrunched up her nose. 

Sighing, she shook her head, "I still don't see any constellations. How does anyone even make pictures out of them? They're just dots in the sky!" 

Chuckling, I took a sip of the champagne, "It's a werewolf thing." 

"Being able to make out pictures from dots billions of miles away is a werewolf thing?" She asked, quirking an eyebrow. 

I smiled, "No, but stars are. You remember how I told you about Selene or Luna is the goddess of the moon. Werewolves were born under a full moon and a sky full of bright, shining stars. Astronomy is important to us." 

"I thought you only cared about the moon, and the stars were just whatever," She replied, looking down. 

"The moon is beautiful. It's a constant, you know? It keeps us human, keeps us anchored. It controls the tides and ourselves alike. It sort of means everything to me," I stared up at the glowing white orb in the black sky. Looking at her as she stared up to the moon, I spoke again, "Hailey?" 

"Yeah?" She murmured, staring up at the canvas above us. 

"You're my moon." 

Despite the dark setting, I could see her blushing furiously and she looked down. Setting down my glass, I reached over and gently turned her to face me. Her eyes shimmered in the moonlight and her cheeks were flushed. Bringing my head down to hers, our lips brushed lightly for a few seconds before her arms wrapped around my neck, pulling me down closer to her, fully pressing our lips together. 

Sparks flew and everything with her felt brighter than the stars and moon above. 

She laid down on the blanket and I went with her, our lips never separating as we did so. Eventually, we broke apart for a breath and looked at each other, smiling widely. 

In that moment, nothing else mattered, nothing but Hailey and I and the way her lips felt on mine and the way she fit perfectly under me. 

"Wow," She breathed, cupping my face in her hands. I brushed her lip with my thumb and she grinned, "We could go back to my house if you want?" 

I nodded, and whispered, "Okay." 

Scooping her up in my arms bridal style, she squealed and laughed, "Chase, put me down!" 

"Alright," I agreed, setting her down in the passenger seat and driving towards her house, holding her hand the whole time. On the way, she hummed along to the songs that played on the radio until we arrived to her yellow house. Before giving her a chance to get out on her own, I ran over and opened the door for her. She stepped out and as I closed the car door, I leaned in, kissing her. 

She smiled, wrapping her arms around my neck again and so I lifted her up, walking into the house which was thankfully unlocked, or else that would've been a total mood-killer. She wiggled her way out of my arms and led me up to her room, pulling me along with her by grabbing me hand. Let me tell you, seeing her like that, biting her lip and her a little messy was such a damn turn on. We made it to her room and she pushed me onto her bed, laughing as she sat on my lap, pressing her lips on mine. Yeah, definitely a turn on. 

After a solid twenty minutes of making out, we were both without shirts and she whispered, "Hang on a few minutes, I'll be right back."

She went into her bathroom, closing the door behind her but not before turning back to look at me, smiling while biting her lip. Sitting on the edge of her bed, I smiled, rubbing the back of my neck and looking at my reflection in the mirror above her dresser. My hair was tossed in every direction, lips red and a bit plump from all of the kissing. 

A shimmery glint suddenly caught my eye and I stood up, looking in the drawer and pulling out a red switchblade. I remembered it clearly from when Hailey had managed to fight off that rogue the night of the dance. Sliding the blade out, I saw there was still blood on it. I narrowed my eyes at it, the rogue that dared attack my mate

Sniffing it, I froze when I realized that it wasn't the scent of the rogue's blood at all, however I did still recognize it. It was Luke's blood. 

The vision of Luke holding it, talking about how Artemis had thrown it into his chest last night came back to me and my breathing deepened. This blade was Hailey's, she had used it against the rogue. But it was also Artemis', she's used it to try and kill Luke. Luke didn't want me going on this date with Hailey. 

The door opened and Hailey walked in smiling, only for it to drop as she saw the blade in my hand and the look on my face. 

Hailey is Artemis. 

Fuck. 

~

a/n: Hi hi. So it's a bit short but I mean THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG heyo Chase now knows that Hailey is Artemis dun dun duunnn. What do you think will happen next? 

QOTC: What do you think Chase will do about this whole new situation??