X | Luna

Imma preface this by clearing up a little confusion! Some fabulous humans have asked about the name of Kaleb's Pack. Long story short, there are multiple names because the Pack is so famous (as it's the mediator Pack between wolves and humans). Mainly, I refer to them as The Prowlers in the rest of the book.

The first thing Kaia was met with as Kaleb heaved the enormous double doors open was noise. It was a constant thrum, buzzing and vibrating in her ears, leaking in through her pores and filling her chest cavity. They were whispers, sometimes rising to soft mumbles. 

"Come," Kaleb said, gesturing in front of him. Ah. So Kaia was meant to go first. She hesitated a moment before Kaleb's eyes teetered on the edge of frustration once again. She gave in before she let that happen. 

She stepped in front of him, taking in a breath of his calming scent as she passed him for courage. Kaia tried not to let it show on her face, but she wasn't used to having many eyes on her at once; the most she'd ever had was probably the five people at The Neighborhood during busy hours. It was a small town, and she lived a modest life. She took comfort in the fact that she didn't need to say or do anything; there wasn't any opportunity for embarrassment or humiliation.

Her anxiety at being seen must have sneaked out of her in a twitch or a sideways glance because Kaleb noticed and gently let his hand rest between her shoulder blades. His touch urged her forward, a slight pressure guiding her. 

Kaia was grateful for the contact he offered her because it was just about the only thing that steadied her once she'd arrived at their destination. They stood on a balcony of sorts with large flights of stairs spiraling down on either side of them. A goliath of a chandelier hung in front of them, the crystals arranged so that it looked almost like glittering rain was falling from above. 

Down below, in the enormous foyer-like space in front of them, was a mass of people. They bunched together, speaking in hushed tones in groups of anywhere between two and ten. They filled the room, bodies churning below Kaia and Kaleb, a sea of life. Kaia was grateful for the elegant golden guard rail between her and the crowd below; it was like a metal wall, there to protect her. She clung to it. It felt like way more than a hundred people despite what Lionel had told her.

At first, the whispers continued as if Kaia and Kaleb were invisible. The stir in the air caused by their presence went unnoticed; the already humming atmosphere obscured the small change. Kaleb glanced at Kaia, approaching the railing so that he was standing beside her. Kaia wanted to hide away behind him but forced herself to remain by his side. She was here for a reason, and she was determined to hang on to the bravery that she'd discovered in herself. 

"Day Walkers!" Kaleb bellowed. His voice shocked Kaia, and she flinched away. She hadn't been prepared for Kaleb to raise his voice; it was a wonder to behold. The moment he spoke, the whispers stopped. Kaia could have heard a mouse tiptoe across the shining marble floors. 

Heads turned, bodies rotated, and suddenly every neck in the room was craned, every set of eyes staring at them. Every inch of Kaia told her to shrink away, every inch but the part of her that was there for Kaleb; she couldn't go, not if it meant leaving him. He continued, uttering names that one by one brought more shouts of pride. "Watchers!" More shouts. The uneasiness in the room subsided as the whispers faded into memory, replaced by the overwhelming noise of the crowd. 

"Messengers and Guardians!" The names continued. Kaia struggled to understand what they were as Kaleb proceeded to list them. But Kaleb looked confident and powerful as he said them; his eyes were mirrors, reflecting the pride that the group offered him. Then it clicked. 

"My Prowlers!" he said finally, this name inciting the loudest cheer yet. Kaleb was naming his Pack, addressing them, bringing them together for one purpose. And that purpose was...