15

"Steve! Where are you? Stark wants us!" I called out. I had just seen Steve but he had disappeared before I could grab him. Stark wanted to let Steve pick out his new shield before we left for our mission in a couple days. 

"Steve, come on...I did not need to see that." I groan as I turn a corner and catch him making out with some blonde girl. I turn on my heels and walk away, trying to shake the image out of my head.

"Charlotte, that was not what it looked like!" he hastily tried to explain as he caught up with me. 

"Mhm, tell that to Peggy." I smirk. 

"She didn't see, did she?" Steve asks, his eyebrows furrowing together in worry as he looked around. 

"No, but I'm going to tell her." I hum as I push the door open.

"Please don't!" Steve begged. 

"Sorry Stevie. She deserves to know." I told him as I spotted her across the room talking to Stark. I smiled at Steve before I walked over to her. I dragged her away from Stark as Stark began talking to Steve. 

I quickly explained what I saw to Peggy when we were far enough away from Steve and Howard. Peggy looked pissed, to say the least. She walked away from me without saying a word. I walked over to Steve's side as Stark started explaining one of the shields. 

"This one's fun. She's been fitted with electrical relays. It'll allow you to..." Stark had begun to say when I cut him off. As I was walking over, I had noticed a shield laying down on a shelf under the other ones. I wondered why it wasn't on the top shelf with the others so I picked it up when I stopped next to Steve. 

"What about this one?" I ask, looking at it. 

"No! No! That's just a prototype." Stark exclaimed, reaching across the table to grab the shield. I lean away from him and continue inspecting it as Steve looked at it over my shoulder. 

"What's it made of?" I ask, flipping it around. 

"Vibranium. It's stronger than steel and a third of the weight. It's completely vibration absorbent." Stark explained as he gave up trying to take the shield from me.

"How come it's not a standard issue?" Steve asked, turning to face him. 

"That's the rarest metal on earth. What she's holding there? That's all we've got." he replied, nodding at the shield in my hands. 

"You quite finished, Mr. Stark? I'm sure the Captain has some unfinished business?" Peggy asked from across the room. Steve shot me a glare before he took the shield from my hands. 

"What do you think?" he asks her as he proudly holds the shield in front of him. I shoot her a warning glance before internally groaning as she picks up a gun from the table next to her.

I scramble away from Steve as she shoots at him. He quickly moves the shield in front of his body so he didn't get hit. 

As he peered out over the top of the shield, Peggy gave him a fake smile before saying, "Yes. I think it works."

We watch her walk out of the room in shock. 

"I had some ideas about the uniform." Steve said, pulling a piece of paper out of his pocket and handing it to Stark without taking his eyes off the door Peggy disappeared through. 

"Whatever you want, pal." Stark murmured, still stunned.

-

"I cannot stress this enough, Charlotte." Steve sighed as we drove to our destination a couple days later.