Magiano

I watched as the princess rode of into the darkness. Taken away by those awful Night Hunters, I watched as her chocolate eyes fixed on mine and her curls bouncing around her with the steps of the horse.

I believe I even saw a tear trace down her cheek. Her posture, however remained regal, and her expression stony.

I thought that tonight could be a chance to make up for all the pain I have caused. I had convinced myself into believing that this could be a quiet sort of redemption of sorts. I could spend the evening with her, and give her the joy of spending the night in the village, and then I would slip away. I would leave forever. At least then, my heart wouldn't ache so much from the pain I have caused. At least then I can know I have brought her some happiness.

Yet I realize now I had possibly confused her beyond my intentions. She might think I did this to get back at her for sending me away, to mix up her emotions even more just to prove something to us both.

I thought of the way she said my birth name. I haven't said that name since my family died.

  Then I remember the horror on her face when she realized it was me. I broke her heart.

I said things that should never come from someone's mouth, and then I come back and only make it worse.

I lower my head. I must leave. Soon. Tomorrow, after the first trial. Tonight I will pack my things and prepare for the road, and during the hectic of the trial tomorrow I will slip away unnoticed.

In the hectic nobody would glance twice at a lone tribal boy leaving for the road.

With his plan in mind, I turn to leave the festival.

  Perhaps it is my natural human instincts, or maybe it's because I have been a thief my whole life, but somehow I felt the eyes of another human on me. I glance around the fireside, trying to spot the eyes of this person and frown. It was too busy, too many things happening at once. Instead, I turn and briskly slip away, knowing they will follow.

As I turn, my instincts prove to be correct as I sense the eyes of someone on the back of my neck, and the light footsteps behind me.

  My heart doesn't speed up, and my head never turns to try and spot who it might be. I certainly don't stop walking until I could find a proper place to corner them. 

I could hear the light tap of their shoes against the cold rock floor behind me. They certainly weren't the best at undercover work, and when I turn down a dark alleyway, I hear their footsteps quicken to follow me. The road is empty, a back street where forgotten festival decorations and trash have been littered across the floor. A single torch poorly lights the vacant alleyway.

Then I stop. I don't turn. I could feel the persons eyes, their breathing, and the way the light breeze blows both of our hair.

Then, quicker than they could react, I spin around. I kick my leg out under them, causing them to fall to the floor in a heap and in less than three seconds I was on top of them with my dagger at their throat.

To my surprise, the person laughed. The lamplight lights their face in ghostly shadows to revel a beautiful tribal girl perhaps my age or older.

I recognized her as the girl who was dancing with Prince Augustus earlier in the evening. I press my knife into her slender throat, but not enough to draw blood.

If this girl was favored by the prince then it would be a bad idea to cause her harm. She eyed me suspiciously, but kept that slick grin on her face as if she were the one in control.