55:Irony

I don't own these people....

Rose Dewitt Bukater 

A scream pierces through the thin night air—one of tearing steel and pure, inhumane intensity. Its sound is sickening and long, like the bellow of a Tyrannosaur, and it seems to make the earth tremble. So much trembling—everything rattles. It’s as if God himself descended onto earth and ripped it in two with his ginormous bare hands, right between Jack and Rose.

The pair are pulled apart violently, and Rose digs her fingers into his skin, not willing to let go. The air is suddenly a lot colder than she’s been used to, and a breeze that seems to come out of nowhere hits her in the face like a shameful slap. The night has suddenly gotten very dark, so much so that Rose can hardly see the palm of her hand. It’s as if the welcoming light of the full moon has been eaten away by a permanent void of darkness.

What in the world is happening?

Rose looks up and just as she expected, where the moon was only minutes before now stands a tall black mass, looming over the ship like a stalking predator. “What is th—“

“Get back!” Hard edges of the mass crack off quickly, and before Rose can get another word out, Jack jerks her away. She watches in awe as several pieces of ice hurdle toward the empty space where her head had been. Ice?

The tip of the cold mass is so high that it seems to scratch the sky, and Rose suddenly feels very small on the largest ship in the world.

Something seems to sink in the pit of her belly—like an anvil or a thousand heavy pianos. A dark shiver courses throughout her veins. An iceberg, she thinks quickly, we’ve just hit an iceberg. Somewhere, in the very back of her mind, this rings a bell. It gives her an odd sense of déjà vu, and although Rose has been getting a lot of that lately, this one is different—more powerful. She can’t help but think that there’s something important that she’s forgetting. And all engines were working to turn the ship but it hit. Of course it hit. Of course.

She stands off to the side for several more moments, hand-in-hand with Jack, neither of them saying a word.

 ..............................................................................................................................

Jack lets go of her hand for a moment once the burg is at a safe distance. He practically thrusts his body over the side of the ship, head turned, trying to get a better look at the giant mass that descends back into darkness as Titanic continues to move further and further away.  Rose joins him moments after, feeling Titanic’s side pressing ferociously into her ribs.

But she doesn’t even notice the pain, or the cold. Her mind is too busy elsewhere—too busy remembering. 42112 Dreams Street, Miami Florida…. 42112 Dreams Street, Miami Florida….Numbers come flooding back to her, first, quickly followed by street names and cities. It’s as if a gate has been opened in the very depths of her subconscious, letting loose knowledge she didn’t even know she had.  42112 Dreams Street, Miami Florida…. 42112 Dreams Street, Miami Florida….42112 Dreams Street, Miami Florida…. She finds herself mentally repeating it over and over, like a chant. She doesn’t know where this place is, or what it is. But she does know one thing for sure—and that that the location is extremely significant. So she repeats it, holds onto it, and is careful not to forget.  Whatever it is.