Revenge

Hhmm... I think we have had enough sad stories - don't you agree? So let's have a laugh, shall we?

>>>---------->

It didn't happen very often, but it had been snowing for the past days. So whereas normally only Norgate and a few other northern places where snowy, this time the whole Kingdom was covered in layers of snow.

For Rangers, this meant different kind of work. Tracks were more easily made, but also more easily removed. And it was of course just very cold, meaning that if it wasn't necessary, most people – and Rangers – preferred staying inside.

This weather also meant other dangers. Other animals visited farms, for example and poor bandits stole warm clothing.

But this time, the biggest danger was the Ranger Commander himself – at least, for Halt he was.

Crowley had decided to visit Redmont. Just to visit friends and, like he pretended to be a reason, to see if everything was going well in one of Araluen's biggest and most important fiefs.

The same reasons had drawn Gilan to Redmont as well. The Ranger had said that he needed to discuss some matters with Halt and Crowley, but surely Jenny was his biggest reason to visit – and his other friends too, of course.

So they were all gathered together in one of the warm and comfortable apartments of Redmont, until Gilan and Will had decided to have a snowball fight. The two friends went outside, followed by Halt and Crowley, who of course couldn't stay behind, and by Pauline and Alyss, who had decided to watch what could be an interesting competition.

Will and Gilan were obviously the most competitive and enthusiastic, but it must be said that Halt and Crowley were keeping up well.

Until Crowley turned against his friend. Instead of building a trap for either Gilan or Will, he build one for his friend. So when Halt decided to see where his friend had gone to, it was him instead of his apprentices, who got dissolved in snow when Crowley moved the branches of the tree he was sitting in.

Our friends watched the two old Rangers – laughing, by terms of Will and Gilan, or amused smiling, by terms of Pauline and Alyss – as a white, wet and cold Halt called a hysterically laughing Crowley a five-year-old, questioned his mental health, wondered why he had been selected as Commander, and, most importantly, swore revenge.

An event to never forget, although Halt's revenge would be unforgettable as well. Everyone of course expected Halt to take revenge that same winter, with snow as well. But Halt was a Ranger and had learned that if he wanted to surprise people, he had to attack when they didn't expect it. So spring came, and together with the snow, Crowley's worries about Halt's sworn revenge disappeared.

Summer came, and still nothing happened. No one thought about it anymore. Except for Halt.

It was already autumn, when Halt was ready.

Being Crowley's best friend, he knew that there was only one natural thing the Commander was scared of.

Spiders.

So when the weather was the one in which spiders aren't rare, Halt travelled to Castle Araluen. He made an appointment with Crowley to meet in his office at a certain time (meaning: he told Crowley he would be in his office at a certain time and that he expected Crowley to be there), and came earlier to put a gigantic spider in his desk. Then, he grabbed a mug of coffee and waited.

A few moments later Crowley entered his own office, not even surprised by the fact that Halt was already there. And of course, without thinking about it, he opened his desk drawer to get something, saw the spider, and was horrified by it sudden appearance.

Meanwhile, at the other side of the Castle, Horace and Will (who had decided to join Halt), exchanged glances when they heard a scream, and wondered who on earth would be so mean to scare the hell out of a little girl.