# 21, Curiosity Killed The Cat

"Ray I swear if you don't stop touching my hair, I will stab your fingers with my fork!" Cassie glares at him while he chuckles and continues to twirl a lock of her hair between his fingers.

We were sitting at our usual table at lunch. Asher was texting someone on his phone and by the looks it was something serious, Caleb was back but he has been acting weird. Ryan was... I don't know where, it has been a week since the incident at my locker, since then he has been distant towards me, he doesn't talk much just the occasional greetings and that's it. I would be lying if I say I don't miss him but I am also angry at him.

I stab my fork angrily in my ugly bland salad imagining it as him. 

That felt good.

"Food is for eating not stabbing." Asher chuckles not looking up from his phone.

I just glare at him and he quickly composes himself going back to whatever he was doing.

"Who stabbed the food?! I can lodge an attempt to murder case against you!" Ray chides dramatically.

"Owww woman! I was kidding!" Ray whines as Cassie actually pokes him with her fork this time.

I sigh and walk out of the cafeteria. I had just walked down the hall when someone kept a hand on my shoulder.

I yelp in surprise and turn around to see Caleb.

 "Caleb! Why did you scare me like that?" I breathe out relieved.

He just chuckles, "Sorry, I forgot how jumpy you were."

 I just smile looking down suddenly interested in my shoes, the situation turned awkward soon as we both didn't know what to say.

"Mae please." Caleb says in a strained voice and I sigh.

"Caleb look...we have know each other since we were kids, we have grown up together but I am sorry, I don't feel the same way. I...I have always considered you as my brother." I purse my lips.

I look at him to see the hurt in his eyes and a sudden weight falls on my shoulders.

"You are a great guy Caleb and I am sure there is a much better girl out there for you." I bite my lip trying to convince him.

"Bullshit!! I don't want some other girl! I want you Mae! Only you!" His face turns red with anger and I flinch at his outburst.

"Caleb I..." I try to say but he grabs my shoulders and slams me against the lockers hard. I whimper as the pain radiates through me.

"Don't you see huh?! I like you so much! I cannot bear to see you with that fucking douche!!" He yells in my face and my vision gets blurry with tears.

"No Caleb, you don't like me! If you did, you wouldn't be doing this right now!!" I choke out the words.

I look around to see that no one was around. I take a deep breath and jerk my knee up forcefully hitting him where the sun doesn't shine. He immediately bends over in pain and I slip out of his vice like hold.

"You--"

"If you say one word Lynch I will make sure that you are not able to get out of your bed for months, and you very well know I can do that." A deathly calm voice that I can recognize from anywhere says from behind me.

I turn around to see Ryan standing there with his fists clenched shooting daggers at Caleb.

"Mae..." Caleb grits out and tries to reach out to me but Ryan pulls me towards him and wraps his arm around me protectively.