Sweet Epiphany: Epilogue

At the age of eighteen, many will start to realize that the experiences in high school are barely scratching the surface of this tough game we call life

At the age of eighteen, many will start to realize that the experiences in high school are barely scratching the surface of this tough game we call life. All the complain about extra homework and getting picked last during basketball suddenly sounds more like the least unfortunate thing that could ever happen.

That is still what I know to be true, except I now also believe that the best things in life awaits beyond that.

Daniel gathers everyone into a circle on the campus park where the warm sunlight shines above us. There aren't any club activities today, but when he releases a notice in the group stating that he has an announcement after class, none of us could say no to turning up.

We take our seats on the ground as Daniel glances at the small group, ensuring the attendance. Then he clasps his hands together, clearing his throat.

"Alright, so welcome back to another semester, guys." He starts informally, and that's when I know where this is going. Terra turns to me curiously and I brush my hand across hers. "You must all be wondering why I gathered you all here today."

None of us moves a muscle as we anticipate for him to drop the news.

"As some of you may know, and some of you may not, my time in Glenworth is just about done." He continues, wearing a smile. "When I started off the club about three years ago now, there were only three of us: me, Kelly and Kacey. Now that I think back, I honestly didn't really know what I was doing, and I was also doubtful if it was going to work. I was prepared to have the club removed in a semester, assuming that no one would turn up. Strangely enough, someone did, and that was Cody."

A few heads turn towards Cody and he grins.

"And then soon, Penelope came, and then Samuel, and before I know it, we had enough to be an official club." He says, then he gazes at us. "And on the first year we received the official title of GSG, Zach and Terra joined the family, and truthfully, the club has never been as productive before."

Daniel paces back and forth before he proceeds, hesitant, but prepared.

"It's been a great journey, and although we aren't huge like the basketball club or the Student Council, I'd like to believe that we did grow, and we were always growing on the inside." He gestures and a few people chuckle. It's cheesy, but genuine. "And now, I'd like to announce that as of today, I am stepping down as president."

"Really?" Samuel gapes.

"Yeah." Daniel nods, and I thought he is beginning to get a little emotional. "It's been such a great experience, I wouldn't trade anything in the world for the crazy times we spent together, especially those parties, am I right?"

The circle laughs while Samuel groans.

"And I don't mean for this to be a goodbye. I'll definitely drop by every now and then. It just means you won't hear me giving one of those boring speeches again to start off the club sessions." He jokes. "And so, today, I am officially passing the baton to Cody."