Part 4

I had to spend almost a full week in the hospital, due to the state of my body. Three nights after my release, Alpha Bane held an acceptance meeting and I was inducted into their small pack. Many of them were glad to have a healer with my level of knowledge join their ranks. And to be honest, I was just as grateful for the companionship and feelings of family.

The time that I spent with James only caused our family bond to grow stronger. It was hard for me to imagine a life without my brother in it. Before I knew it, three months had passed and I was settling in just fine. I was finally starting to believe that I might just get a little happiness in my life, but that was soon thrown out.

It was during the fourth month when I overheard a conversation between two pack members that the king and several of his closest men would be visiting our little pack. I remember the feeling of fear that flooded me, but I soon pushed it out of the way. Alexander had no idea where I was, and no one except the two of us knew that we were mates.

The sun had been up for several hours by the time that I came into view of the pack house. A wolfish smile graced my muzzle as I shifted and took a few steps from the thick forest. Instantly, however, I came to a stop. A scent that would forever be burned into my memory permeated the air, calling to my wolf.

My body froze where I was as the scent of my mate washed over me. It was still fresh, meaning that he had passed by the tree-line not too long ago. An ache blossomed in my chest as my heart started to race. I longed to walk into the house, to see his face just once more. But I couldn't bring myself to move. Had he brought his wife with him, his child?

Shaking my head, I pivot around quickly, rushing back into the forest. No, I decided, it wouldn't do either my-self or my wolf any good to see our mate. As I ran, my bare feet pounding into the damp earth, my mind turned towards my father. I had seen the man a few times for a far distance, but not once had I actually met him. If our paths had crossed back in Europe, he would have known instantly that I was his.

I never could figure out how, but it was mainly due to our wolf spirits. Even if the person they were meeting were strangers to them, if there was a family bond between them, the wolves would sense it. That's how I knew that the man I called 'father' wasn't truly my father. My wolf had told me the truth when I was eight. And when I pressed my mother, she told me the same thing. And then she called me a mistake.

I kept running until I stumbled into James' special place. It was a small meadow filled with hundreds of wildflowers. Sinking to my knees, I lie on my back and close my eyes. As much as I longed to finally meet my father, he barely left the king's side. And I was wishing to avoid that meeting for as long as I could hold out. He didn't know I was in the States. No one did, and it was my wish that it stayed that way.

My wolf fell silent and I let all thoughts drift away. It wasn't long until the peacefulness of the meadow lulled me to sleep.

I'm not sure what woke me, but I jerked away, my eyes scanning my surroundings for any sign of danger. My eyes darted up to the sky and I was surprised to find that it would be dark within an hour or two at the latest. Kathy! James' voice screamed in my mind through our link and I flinched at the loudness of it. I would have answered back a little sharply if it hadn't been for the worried tone of his voice.

What's the matter, James?

Where are you? I've been trying to contact you for hours!

I'm... taking some time to think. I'm fine James, I'm in no danger. My words did little to ease his worries as I felt the emotions pulsing through the bonds. I knew that I could trust my brother with the truth of my past, but I also knew that James had a fiery temper that no one would wish to face once it had been unleashed.

Dad wishes to meet you. King Tate and the rest of the men are leaving tomorrow morning for a pack farther west of us.

Bring him to your meadow. And James...

Yes?

Make sure that it's just the two of you, please. Silence fell between us for several long minutes, but he finally agreed. I knew that he would know that I didn't want to chance upon meeting someone in the visiting group. James was too smart not to put two and two together. He would have to know that my mate was among them.

Ten minutes slowly ticked by before I heard faint sounds behind me. Without moving, I knew that it was James and our father. Even now, with a few months to get used to the idea of sharing the same father, it sounded strange to call him that in my mind. To me, he had always been the man that Mother cheated on her mate with.

Sounds of bones breaking, shifting, fills the air and I hear two hearts beating a little faster than they normally do. Very slowly, I stand up, keeping my back towards them. My wolf could sense the presence of our father and she was eager to turn around and see him. Placing a small smile on my lips, I slowly turn and come face to face with my brother and father.

James quickly checked me for any sign that I had been hurt. When he found none, his shoulders fell in relief. His eyes lit up as he started to grin. But my eyes weren't on him; they were locked with my father's. And the look of pure astonishment on his face almost brought laughter from me.

I knew that his wolf was telling me that I was his pup, theirs. His eyes suddenly jerked to James and then back to me. Seeing the ear to ear smile on his son's face seemed to be the jolt Eric needed. "You're my daughter." His voice was soft, almost as if he still couldn't believe. And to be completely honest, if I was in his shoes, just finding out about a pup that was mine that I had no idea even existed, I would be just as stunned as he was.

His mouth opened as if he was going to ask something, but he snapped it shut. I watched as a fire started to burn within his eyes and I knew that he had pieced everything together. "Your mother is Sharon Malloy." I nod my head yes and he growls softly.

It was easy to see that both Eric and his wolf were hurt that my mother hadn't told them that she had given birth to a pup that was his. "How old are you?" His question was barely loud enough for me to hear, but I did. "I will be celebrating my 34th birthday in a month."

Hurt washed over him and I could faintly feel it through the bond that was slowly forming between us as father and daughter. He had missed out on my entire life. He had missed out on thirty-four years. But that wasn't his fault. The blame fell on my mother and I. My mother because she had so many chances to tell him the truth when she was expecting me; and me because I still kept the truth hidden after I learned it.

I didn't know what to call him. His name would sound too cold to my ears, Father was too formal, and James called him Dad. "May I call you Papa?" I ask softly, noticing that a look I couldn't describe, settled over his face. It was like I had just handed him a gift that he had longed after for so many years. His eyes were shining with unshed tears as he gave me a smile.

"I-I would like that very much." Returning his smile, I slowly start to walk towards him. "My name's Kathleen, but I go by Kathy." He whispered my name before closing the distance between us, his arms wrapped tightly around me as he hugged me. My arms wrapped slowly around him as I hugged back. It wasn't long before the meadow echoed with faint sobs that spilled from my lips. For in my father's arms, I finally felt at home and at peace.