thirteen

Emily's sleep was disturbed by the blaring alarm clock on her nightstand. Not even opening her eyes, she let out a powerful scream until the noise went away. Peeking at the clock, she noticed the reason why it fell silent was because it shattered to pieces.

''Oops.''

She almost forgot how powerful her voice was.

Yawning, she stretched her arms—which were sore from shooting bad guys with arrows the day before—and climbed out of bed. She staggered to the window on the other side of the room and pulled back the dark blue curtains. The rooms Atlas had her and the others staying in were located on the upper level of the mountain, giving them a decent view of outside instead of sedimentary rock. The sun had yet to rise, the lingering fragments of the night clinging onto the clouds.

A scowled surfaced on Emily's lips.

She previously thought Director Shaw let them off the hook; she couldn't have been more wrong. In fact, she realized this was their punishment.

Trudging over to the full body-length mirror on her closet door, she rubbed her eyes before frowning at herself. Her short, black hair was slightly matted down, and the purple tips were not even purple anymore. She'd been at The Acropolis, training to help take down Kismet, for about a month now—two weeks had passed since the botched mission in Canada—and the Atlas headquarters was short on quality hairdressers.

Her dark eyes had equally dark circles underneath them, due to her having to get up at the crack of dawn every day for the past couple of weeks. She noticed her skin was paler than usual. She looked like a zombie.

The only real upside to the rigorous training sessions she was forced to endure was the change in her body. Her arms, legs, and abdomen were more toned than ever before. Though, she wasn't sure if the agonizing muscle fatigue was worth it.

She ventured into her bathroom and turned on the shower. She hissed when the cold water her clammy skin. Her body shivering and her teeth chattering, she set the water stream to her preferred temperature: scorching hot.

After standing in the shower for a while, the burning water awakening her nerves, she cut it off and dried herself off. Moments later, she changed into some dark training gear and headed out to meet her friends in the training room.

 Moments later, she changed into some dark training gear and headed out to meet her friends in the training room

Of course, Chase was the first one there. He was always the first one there.

Ever since they started training, he showed up extra early to get his own sessions in. If the place was open twenty-four-hours, he probably would've slept in there. Emily shook her head at him as she entered The Gym.

The Gym was Atlas' main training ground. It was located on the floor just above the hangar and was the second largest sector in the entire compound. Multiple rooms made up the training ground, including the shooting range, a rock-climbing station, a simulation center, and an armory. That wasn't all, of course.