Can't Believe Everything (Twelve)

Detective Victor Gibson removed his gold-rimmed eyeglasses, placing them quietly on the desk. He pinched the bridge of his nose while tightly shutting eyes so tired that they intermittently burned. Piper Redding and Desiree Love were still missing, and he didn't have any idea, any clue where they could be. He desperately needed to locate the whereabouts of the fugitive. Light blue eyes opening, Victor glanced toward the phone thinking that perhaps the judge would have some information for him by now.

The detective took the phone off of the receiver and flipped through his Rolodex until he found the judge's cell phone number. Quickly dialing it, the phone began to ring and he sat back in his leather chair, waiting for Judge Love to answer. Three rings later, he did.

"Hello?" the judge greeted in a tense voice.

"Is this Judge Richard Love?"

"Yes, it is. Who am I talking with?"

"You may not remember me, sir. I'm Detective Victor Gibson. I came to see you earlier this week at Baker Hospital."

The judge breathed a sigh of relief. "Of course I remember you, Detective. Please tell me that you're calling with good news. Have you found something?"

"No, unfortunately I haven't. And now I suppose that it would be a waste of time to inquire if you have?"

Judge Love started to tell the detective about the phone call he received on Wednesday, but quickly changed his mind. Desiree's life could very well depend on what he said next. For the time being, he would play the game Piper Redding's way.

The judge took a deep breath. "I have."

A pair of dark brows skyrocketed in surprise. "You have?"

"Yes."

"What?" the detective coaxed, on the brink of impatience.

Judge Love cleared his throat. "I found my daughter."

"Is she okay? Where is she?" He had been hoping that the young woman's abrupt disappearance would lead him to Piper.

"She is fine." I hope, he grimly thought. "She called yesterday, apologizing for not telling us that she went on a ski trip with her friends up in the mountains somewhere. This memory of mine won't let me remember where she said they were." He paused. "So as you can see, we won't be needing your help any longer. Just focus on finding that woman, because although she didn't kidnap my daughter, she made an attempt on my son's life and viciously murdered three people."

Detective Gibson frowned. His instincts told him that the judge was not telling him the truth, and he began to wonder why. Something was not right with this story, and he was determined to find out what it was.

"When did Desiree leave on her trip?" He would catch this man in a lie if it were the last thing he did.

"Monday."

"I see. So, she went on a ski trip after being fired. Most people wouldn't be in the frame of mind to take a vacation after losing their job."

"What can I say? My daughter is different." The judge began to perspire. He had the impression that the detective was not buying his story.

"Hmm. You didn't get the number of the place she's staying?"

"No, I didn't. I was just so happy that she was all right, I forgot to ask."

The detective shook his head. You're lying to me, Judge. "Do you know when she will be back?"

"No, I don't."

"You mean to tell me that Ms. Love isn't returning immediately after learning that her brother has been shot?"

Richard could feel sweat trickling down the back of his neck. Reaching up, he loosened his tie. Unfortunately, doing so didn't offer him any further comfort. "I didn't tell her."