Chapter 39: The News of the Criminal

Chapter 39:

The News of the Criminal

   We both turned to face Kaname as he stood in the centre of the Ball; everyone else was doing the same. His face was facing the ground for a few moments before he lifted it and caught everyone’s eyes with a charming grin. They all watched and wondered for his next move was.

   “I would like to welcome everyone for turning up this fine evening. I really appreciate your presence. You deserve my gratitude.” He began opening his arms wide. Everyone smiled at him at his fine, comforting greeting but they had no idea what would come of it and neither did I. “I know most of you have little clue as to why I planned this Ball unexpectedly. I wanted to get to know our neighbours and allies. I wanted to greet Vampires and humans from nearby who of which I have not met before and may be greatly thanked in the future.”

   This is when mutters and whispers travelled around the brightly coloured hall. People looked quizzical and also a bit frightened, most likely by the word ‘Ally’. They had an idea now where this was going, well—some of them anyway.

   “Do you know Shiki?” I whispered to him.

   He nodded and continued to watch Kaname with open eyes.

   “You all are very kind, loving Vampires. I am very pleased that I have met you. Yet I apologise for the one of the main reasons why I created this Venue.” This is when people began to whisper louder and even step back a bit. The thought of danger was surely arising.  “Something uncomfortable has begun to arise and it has taken target on this Academy. Something fierce and powerful and our Academy’s walls cannot withstand it. Our students and hunters cannot protect us alone. What is coming is a Dark Wave. A war created by one Pure Blood Vampire and many Level E Vampires.” He ended as his face went from welcoming to complete seriousness. He looked very unhappy and so did everyone else in the Venue.

   “So what?” Spoke up a middle ages woman, “You expect to come here and bow down asking for our help? You want us to risk our lives for this Academy when most of the students are human?” Her opinion was greatly supported by the people around her as they nodded in agreement.

   Kaname shrugged, “I am asking yes but it is not a demand. We cannot win this war on our own.” He replied shaking his head.

   “You cannot expect us to just waltz into battle though, that’s preposterous!” Cried a man in a brown, denim jacket. “It’s suicide!”

   “It’s suicide if we don’t help them either.” Spoke a young girl probably not older than 20. “They are asking for our strength. With all of us equalling to many Pure Blood’s, Aristocrats and hunters we’ll have a much better chance against an army of Level E vampires. Our abilities are more powerful and yes, we may be injured but Kaname has shown us a good time and a friendly neighbour.” She ended with a nod.

   “OK, you can go with them and we’ll go home.” Spoke the man in the denim jacket.

   This was getting ridiculous, “That’s why he’s offering. You do not have to if you don’t want to. However, this is your chance to prove you are a worthy ally to us. If you ever need to be helped in the future and you chose not to help us now, we cannot guarantee our help for you.” I spoke up and walked out into view. Everyone’s eyes suddenly turned onto me.

   “And when will anyone attack us?” The woman from before asked angrily, but also in curiosity.

   “A Pure Blood Vampire, not long ago was targeted and framed by another Pure Blood. She was lead to suicide as the Vampire’s Association came to capture her. Yet she was not the one killing people and driving them into Level E stages. She was a nice and beautiful person who didn’t deserve it.” I stopped for a moment to halt myself from tearing up. “Anyone can be targeted, any one of you. Do not say you are safe because with him out there and with this much power, none of us are really safe. This Vampire is smart, fast and evasive. We need you and if we fail, you may end up failing later in life as well.” I stepped back and covered my face in distress. Oh Terra… You were amazing…