Chapter 65

**George’s POV**

The next morning I wake early. I stretch, feeling stiff and sore. Fred and Sirius are still sleeping in the hallway. Remus and Mum went home to tell everyone what’s going on and haven’t returned yet. I climb to my feet and walk down through the halls. I step outside into the muggle world. There’s a few cars in the streets, but it’s not too busy. I guess that it’s about seven thirty. I walk once around the block, stretching out my muscles. When I round the corner, Fred is waiting outside the entrance.

“What’s wrong?” I ask, my heart rate immediately picking up.

“Nothing,” he replies, “I just wanted to make sure you’re alright.”

“Fine, just sore,” I reply with a grimace. We climb through the entrance again. The hospital is busier now. As we walk down the hallway Sirius stirs.

“No ideal sleeping conditions,” he comments, sitting up. We sit down beside him.

“So, Sirius,” Fred says conversationally, “all those years you were at Hogwarts, you must have done some great pranks.”

I stare at the door, ignoring the conversation beside me, even though I know Fred meant it to distract me.

“George?”

I jump as Mum appears with Remus, Dad, Ron, Harry and Hermione in tow.

“You alright, son?” Dad asks. I stand up, nodding.

“Haven’t seen her yet?”

“No,” I sigh. Mum gives my hand a squeeze.

“How’s Alithea?” I ask, rubbing my eyes.

“She’s fine,” Mum says, “loves her uncle Charlie! She’s missing you, though.”

“We wondered if we should bring her?” Dad comments. I shake my head.

“Not until I’ve seen Maddie,” I tell him, “I’ll go see her later.”

“Alright,” Dad agrees.

“Mr Weasley?”

“Yes?” Dad and I chorus. Dad blushes slightly and looks away, but I stare intently at the healer.

“You may see your wife now,” he says, stepping away from the door. Sirius and Remus step forward too, but the healer holds up his hand.

“One at a time,” he says. I nod to them and step through the door. Everything in the room is white, which makes Maddie’s dark hair stand out against the pillows. I expected to see her sitting up, smiling with some kind of joke ready, but she’s lying on her side, facing away from the door, curled up. I cross to her quickly and run my hand down the side of her face to let her know I’m there. She doesn’t react. She’s standing at her nightstand with glazed eyes.

“Maddie?” I say quietly, “honey, are you alright?”

She doesn’t show any signs that she’s heard. I lean down to kiss her cheek and she closes her eyes for a brief moment.

“Sweetie-”

“I’m sorry.”

“What?” I ask. I didn’t even see her lips move.

“I’m sorry,” she repeats. He voice sounds empty and dead. There’s no emotion, nothing.

“For what?” I ask, trying to sound light and playful. A terrible look of pain comes across her face. She turns her face into the pillow.

“Maddie,” I put my hand on her shoulder, “honey, what’s going on?”

“It’s all my fault,” she sobs. I feel my heart begin thudding in my chest and I struggle to keep my voice calm and level.

“What is?” I ask her. She rolls over and looks me straight in the eye. Her eyes are filled with tears and something else. Loss, pain, torture…

“The baby,” she says, “we lost the baby.”

I feel as if someone has punched me in the stomach. All the breath has gone out of me. I stumble back a metre away from the bed and double over, willing myself not to vomit. I force myself to breathe as I feel tears well in my eyes. I look over at Maddie. She’s staring at her nightstand again.

“Sweetie?” I choke. She doesn’t reply.

“Honey, I…” I shake my head, “it’s not your fault! These things… They happen…”

Trembling, I walk over and sit on the bed next to her. I take her hand in mine and squeeze it. It feels limp and cold.

“Maddie, please, talk to me,” I beg. She keeps staring at the nightstand, her eyes haunted.

“Please!” I beg, feeling desperate, “I need you!”

I blink the tears away, gasping for breath.

“Maddie!” I yell, “PLEASE! Just LOOK at me!”

I double over, sobbing so hard I can feel the whole bed shaking.

“George,” a soft voice says in my ear, “come on.”

I feel strong arms around my shoulders, guiding me out of the room. I stagger into the hallway and collapse. I cover my face with my hands and cry harder than I ever have before. I can still feel the arms around me, supporting me, but all I want to feel is Maddie’s hand in mine. Not the cold, lifeless thing in that room, but the warm, soft hand I used to feel.

“I’m taking him home.”

I hear Mum’s voice from somewhere above me and shake my head. I don’t want to leave.

“George, come on,” Fred says in my ear, “we’re going to get you home.”

“No!” I cry, “no, Fred!”

He lifts me up and disapparates. We’re home in the Burrow in our old room. He guides me onto my bed.

“I’m so sorry, George.”