Chapter 7

I wake up to the sounds of sirens outside my bedroom window. Opening my eyes I notice that my sheets are a different color, instead of forest green they're navy blue.

Confused, I sit up and look around my room. All of my drawings seemed to have disappeared to reveal a soft, white carpet with artistic sprays of red dye. Sitting up slowly I realize that this isn't in fact my bedroom. There's a lingering metallic scent that seems to cloud the room.

Yelling from the street brings my attention back to the window. I stare back at my apartment complex in utter confusion before glancing at the street below. Four cop cars and an ambulance sit with their lights on but the sirens have stopped altogether. The paramedics walk outside carrying a stretcher. A human-sized plastic bag lays on it. I've only ever seen that in the movies. My heart sinks as I try to guess who died.

Maybe someone is targeting the Ito family and that's Yuki's wife in that bag. But I can't stop thinking if it's really my brother. Suddenly, I remember what happened yesterday. My brother kicked me out and Katsu told me I could stay at his place. So is this Katsu's place?

The sound of a door quietly clicking shut alerts me that someone's here with me.

I crouch down toward the floor. The twin sized bed sits in the middle of the room between the window and the door so I can watch the door but be somewhat out of sight.

The person, definitely female, starts singing a hauntingly slow tune to themselves. My heart begins to race as I hear the woman get closer to the room I'm hiding in. She passes without looking inside and seems to walk into another room, shutting the door behind her. Without wasting another second I duck out of my spot on the floor and run as quietly to the front door as I can. 

I want to know who died. I pray that my brother is ok. I know he hates me but that doesn't mean I  hate him. This is the second death in the same place. The police will start to interrogate the apartments residence.

I was almost at the door when it swung open. I stumble back in surprise as I look into the bottle green eyes of Katsu himself.

"Oh...You're...awake already." At first, he just stares at me with a blank expression but eventually his face breaks into wide Cheshire grin. He takes both my hands in his and kisses them, his lips lingering a second too long. I feel him inhale deeply as he takes in my scent. I pull my hands back in disgust then ask about the body outside.

"Who...was that on the stretcher?"

His smile seems to freeze in place. "Oh, so you saw....that." Suddenly he becomes animated again; smiling like I just told him a funny joke. He closes the door behind him with the heel of his foot while maintaining eye contact.

Now effectively trapped inside an unknown house with a guy that I don't really know, I begin to panic. I can feel the vice of my worries wrap tightly around my chest making breathing hard. Katsu must see the change in my behavior because he steps back with a pinched brow that shows his worry.

"What? What's wrong? Please, tell me so I can help you!" Katsu's face is drawn taut over his face as he somewhat yells at me. This only causes me to panic even more. I can't even scream because I can't catch my breath enough to. 

I stand there, mouth open like a dying fish while Katsu yells at me in desperation. He takes my head and holds me to him. We stay like this for a few minutes as I catch my ever distant breath.

"Well, well, well. It seems that Katsu finally grew a pair and got a gal." A feminine voice says behind me. I try to pull away and look at the who spoke but Katsu tightens his grip around me. In fact, he completely ignores them and nuzzles his face in my neck. I feel my face heat up at the intimate touch but it somehow calms me down a little.

"Oh, you're ignoring me, is that it?" They give a huff and then you feel two thin arms wrap around your waist and a head resting on your other shoulder. The smell of cheap liquor and floral perfume over ride you senses.
Katsu growls at the new arrival but doesn't move from his spot. I can turn my head just enough to catch a glimpse of course blonde hair and ruby red lips that curl deviously. Finally Katsu speaks up.

"Mother, if you must know. This is (Y/n) (L/n) and she will be staying with us from now on." His lips barely move in his obvious anger at his mother.

"Staying with us? Since when? I'm the one that pays the bills around here, shouldn't I be the one making the decisions?" Katsu's mother pulls away from me and comes around to yank me out of his grip. I get a good look at what she's wearing.
A very fitting silk blouse with all but two buttons undone and a pencil skirt that looks drawn on to her wide, attractive thighs. Her hair, obviously dyed blonde, sprouts brown roots at the top of her head. She looks just like Katsu except her eyes are a dull yellow. He must have gotten his green eyes from his dad.

"Wait, I'm sure my brother didn't really mean to kick me out for good. He use to do stuff like this all the time when we were young. He never meant it for long." I give my most convincing smile. Without awaiting a reply a squirm out of their reach to the front door. Before they can stop me I race down the steps and jump out into the street. I can here a set of footsteps following and know that Katsu is a few feet behind.
The street is filled with people from neighboring blocks; They crowd around, blocking my view of the paramedics. A few camera men accompany news casters talking about the scene.

"Another death at the Fujioka apartment complex leaves the local authority suspicious of fowl play. What may have been a tragic suicide has been revealed as a possible murder. The body of Haruki (L/n) was found strung up in his sister's bedroom late last night by his girlfriend....." I couldn't listen anymore.
Haruki is dead. My last known relative left me. Now I really don't have anywhere to go.
Just as I sink in despair at that last though a light kiss is planted on my temple. Strong hands around my waist pull me into a toned chest. Looking up I stare into the emerald eyes of Katsu.
He'll take care of me. He said so himself. I'm not alone. Right?