7

Chapter Seven

Beep Beep Beep.

          The worst part of the day.

          Beep Beep Beep.

          The worst.

          Beep Bee-

          Reaching a hand out from underneath the bed covers, I smacked my fist down on the snooze bottom, annoyed at the obnoxious beeping of my alarm clock. I pulled the covers off of my head, slowly opening my eyes. My gaze fell on the bright red numbers.

          6:45 a.m.

          Sighing, I threw the covers off of my body and swung my legs over the edge of my bed. I stood up and walked grudgingly towards the restroom, grumbling to myself about how much I wanted to throw anyone who had anything to do with the formation of school off a cliff. I huffed as I reached the restroom, where I began my regular morning routine.

          After I finished getting ready, I made music breakfast. Placing my plate in the sink, I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed out for school.

          My first few classes dragged on like they did every Monday. However, the closer English got, the more eager I felt. I supposed it was because Logan was in that class, too.

          I walked into the class room to find Logan sitting at my table. I tried not to feel so excited and struggled to hide the smile itching to spread on my face. As I approached him, his head whipped up to look up at me and smile spread onto his face and lit up his features.

          "Hey."

          "Hey," I said quietly, smiling shyly. "Why are you sitting here?" I asked, genuinely curious.

          No one ever sat next to me, not even the nerds who had no friends -- and that was saying something.

          "Do you not want me to sit here?" He asked, quirking an eyebrow teasingly.

          "No, no, it's just.. you don't have to feel obligated to sit with me. You can sit with your friends." I said, lifting a finger to point towards his group of friends.

          He shook his head. "It's okay. I want to sit with you."

          I smiled timidly and nodded, sitting down beside him.

After Mrs. Pomers finished explaining the prompt for an essay that was due in three days, I realized that I really needed to pee. I rose from my seat and walked over to Mrs. Pomer's desk. She glanced up at me from her computer screen with a small smile on her face.

"Yes, Lauren?"

"Um, may I go to the restroom?"

"Yes, you may."

Leaving the classroom, I made my way down the empty hallway. I entered the restroom quickly, desperately needing to go. Once I finished, I exited the stall and I realized I wasn't alone.

Fixing her mascara, Kacey stood in front of the long, horizontal mirror that stretched from one corner of the restroom, to the other.

"Oh, hey, Lauren." She greeted, faking a genuine smile.

"Hi." I said, skeptical of her intentions.

"I see you've gotten close to Logan." She commented, leaning into the mirror to examine her make-up.