t e n

"YOU DON'T KNOW." The sound of his deep voice both made my heart race and stop at once. "I didn't think it was possible, but you actually don't know anything."

He took a step closer and let his hand hover over my cheek. Every nerve in my body sprung to life and tingled from his proximity. And all I could think about was... What thoughts? At that moment, everything was him.

"But you know what, Lyn? That's what makes you so different." With these words, his fingers finally brushed the side of my face, breaking some kind of spell within me. My whole body went overdrive and my senses began to overwhelm me.

"D-different?"

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face at the stutter in my tone.

"Exactly," he whispered. "Different. Unique; Special; Beautiful. And you don't even know why."

I couldn't look away. His silver eyes had me captive and I couldn't move until he released me.

"Why?" I murmured, barely daring to breath.

The smile on his face faded, as his fingertips traced my jaw. His eyes glossed over and I immediately sensed his grief.

"Because, Lyn," he began. "We were born for each other."

"For each other?" I repeated. "You and I?"

"Gray Wolves can sense their mates, Lyn... Usually from birth. We grew up knowing that we were for each other."

"Mates?"

"Mates... Like Soulmates."

"Then why can't I-" I began.

"You could," he interrupted. "You used to be able to. But its like I told you... Your werewolf side has been suppressed for years. It's going to take more than being in the presence of other Gray Wolves to trigger it's return."

"So until the block is gone, I'm not a..."

"Not exactly," he responded. I gave him a wild look. "Your migraines will only get worse as you're memories return completely."

"For the love of Luna... You have got to be kidding me!" I groaned.
He lifted up his hand and let his fingers run through the strands of ash-brown hair.

"There may be a way..." His voice was so quiet; I barely heard him.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I have a strong connection to your past," he murmured. "If we... No, but its wrong."

"What is it?" I repeated urgently.

"Since I have a strong connection to your memories, strengthening your bond with me will let me act as a bridge between you and your past," he explained. "It will release your werewolf side but..."

"But what?"

He stared at me for a long moment, his eyes holding the intensity of a raging storm. Almost at once, his eyes welled up and a tear slid down his cheek.

"I can't d-do this a-anymore," he choked. "I c-can't, Lyn. I can't d-deal with you n-not b-being able to remember..." He took a deep breath and cupped my face in his palms.

"I love you."

I froze, unable to breath. Love. The word sounded unreal, coming from his lips. I was sure he was lying. I wasn't capable of being loved.

"You don't even know me," I muttered, confused.

"That's the thing, though," he objected, another tear falling from his eyes. "I do. I know you b-better than anyone else in the w-world and the same g-goes for you. You know m-me... You just c-can't remember it." He bit his lip and ran his thumb along my cheekbone. "And y-you know what? I don't care, anymore. I don't care if its wrong. I only care that strengthening the bond will bring my Lyn back to me."

"How do you strengthen the bond?" I heard myself asking, though I could hardly recognise my own voice.

"Like this."

With that, his lips collided onto mine, sending my senses into overdrive. His scent tingled at my nose; his voice echoing in my ears; his touch caressing my cheek. The taste of his slightly salty tears overwhelmed my mouth and every nerve in my body fused with his, igniting me with passion. There was nothing gentle about the way he kissed me but somehow that was what made me feel alive.

"Come back to me," he whispered.

Long buried emotions made surface, flowing from me. Love, pain, grief, anger, happiness- everything at once.

And then, fragments of my memories came within it.