Chapter 26: The Truth

"Thank you very much," I said, standing to hug Hank Pym again.

"Thank you for coming," he said, before whispering to me, "You know that's Captain America out there, right?"

I giggled, feigning innocence.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said, winking at him. As I walked out of the room, he grabbed my arm.

"Be careful. You may not want to know everything that Stark will tell you," he warned me. I nodded, knowing that I was ready no matter what. I was ready to find out where I came from.

"Come on, guys!" I said into the kitchen, forcing a smile as I walked towards the front door.

"Where are we going now?" Steve asked as we all got back into the car.

"We're going to see Stark," I said defiantly. I saw Steve and Falcon shoot each other a confused look. "Stark knows my father," I said, by way of explanation.

"Are you sure?" Nat asked. "The guy from the story, Joseph Jackson?"

"No, that was my step-father. This guy, Obadiah Stane, he's my birth father," I answered. There was silence in the car. "What? What's going on?"

"Nothing!" Nat said quickly, immediately telling me that she was lying.

"What? Do you know this guy or something?"

Nat took a deep breath, facing away from me and out the window.

"Talk to Stark," she said.

"I don't want to talk to Stark, I want to talk to you! Clearly you know something about him that I don't," I said.

"Rogue, please don't make me tell you," she begged me.

"Tell me!" I said, raising my voice.

"I don't know how it happened, I only heard about it after. But... Stark killed him," she said. Immediately my head felt cloudy and my eyes began to tear up. The one link that I had to possibly find out who my parents were – gone.

"Are you sure?" I asked, my voice thick with tears.

"It was all over S.H.I.E.L.D's radar – and the news. He made some kind of rival suit and... he ended up dying. I'm so sorry Rogue," Nat said, looking upset. For some reason, I remembered nothing about this story.

 I wanted to say something – to thank her for telling me, or to tell her that she had nothing to be sorry for. But all I could think of was my father. No matter what he did, he was my dad. Without him, I wouldn't be here. And now he was gone, and I didn't even get a chance to meet him, to see who he was, to make him proud of me. And it was all because of Tony Stark, my boyfriend, the guy who everyone warned me away from.

We all stayed silent as we got to Stark's place in record time. I got out of the car as quick as I could, slamming the car door. As I turned around, I saw that only Steve was following me.

"I told Natasha and Sam to wait behind. I thought it would be easier if there were less people here," he said.

I nodded, not saying anything. I needed to save my words for when I spoke to Stark. I knocked twice on the door. Within seconds, he was at the door.

"You open your own door?" I asked sarcastically.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y. told me it was you! How have you been? Are you OK? What's Cap doing here?" he asked in quick succession.

"I need to talk to you. Steve... he's here for moral support," I answered.

"What's going on?" he asked, ushering us inside.

"Who's Obadiah Stane?" I asked. Stark looked at me, confused.

"He was a friend of my dad's. He was my mentor, until he tried to get me killed. He wanted to have sole control of Stark industries," he answered.

"Did you kill him?" I asked, knowing that if I didn't get it out now, I'd never find out the truth.

"Of course I did! Why?"

Tears began to fill my eyes once again. Hearing it straight from him made it true.

"He was... my father," I said, shaking. Stark's eyes widened.

"What?" he asked.

I jumped towards him, punching, kicking and hitting him as hard as I could. He was without his suit and completely defenceless.

"You killed him!" I screamed at him over and over again. After a while, I noticed that Steve had been trying to pull me off of Stark. I let him separate us, pulling me gently.

"Rogue, I'm so sorry. I didn't know..."

"Never speak to me again!" I shouted, knowing how irrational I was being. But when your whole family had been ripped away from you and the only link you had, had been taken from you by your boyfriend, you were entitled to be a bit irrational.

"Rogue..." he tried again.

"We're over! I hate you!" I said as tears streamed down my face. Steve pulled me out of the house and wrapped his arms around me. I cried into his chest. "Thank you... for coming," I whispered to him.

"Of course. You needed me," he said simply. I peered up at him, before reaching up quickly and kissing him. More than anything, I was trying to get back at Stark, before I realised that Steve was pulling away awkwardly.

"I'm sorry," he said quickly, stepping away from me.

"No, I'm sorry," I replied sincerely. "I was upset with Stark. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking."

We stood in an awkward silence, not knowing how to move forward. Why had I kissed Steve? What was I gonna do, go from one avenger to the next? I was such an idiot!

"We'll find you mom, I promise," he said out of the blue. I internally thanked him for changing the subject.

"She's probably dead – like my dad," I replied, sniffing as we began walking back towards the car, Steve's arm around me. As we got back into the car, Nat turned to me quickly.

"We can find her – your mom."

"What?" I asked, excitement filling my tone as I brushed away the last few stray tears.

"Well, I'm not 100% sure, but Obadiah used to work with Howard Stark – who was involved with the S.S.R, who were linked to S.H.I.E.L.D. There must be something in S.H.I.E.L.D's files that can help us find her." Nat sounded hopeful.

"Are you sure?" I asked as Steve began to drive once again.

"They found Banner is the depths of Calcutta! If your mom has anything to do with S.H.I.E.L.D, they'll know about it," she promised me.

I watched Stark's house out of the window as we pulled away. I knew that I couldn't stay mad at him forever, that my anger was ridiculous. But when all I could think about was my lack of parents, the last thing I ever wanted to do was forgive him.

****************************************

Thanks for reading!

Rogue broke up with Stark! Was she right to dump him? Will she find her mother? Find out more next Saturday!

Please vote and comment x