❉ eight

Melanie Anderson

"Am I not suppose to know what my parents do?" I asked as we sit across from each other on the dinning table. Ethan made food for us before we head to sleep.

"Not yet, you were going to train for it but, the building was attacked and I had to come as fast as I could to get you"

The feeling of protection from Ethan doesn't bother me as much, besides he's really sweet, and he seems as if he cares for me more than he should.

"Do you get paid" I asked, interrupting the silence between us from eating.

He shook his head as he was chewing.
"No, why?"
"Just wondering"

I began to just pick the food from my plate, meaning I wasn't hungry. That habit has been stuck with me since I was a kid.
"Melanie.." he said softly.
I narrow my eyes, he looked desperate.
"Are you sure your okay?"

I nodded. "I'll be fine"

-

"There had been a shooting at a near Human Resources company, nobody has giving detailed information, but only 17 injured"

"Do you know who had caused the shooting?"  I asked as we watch the tv that's playing in the living room.

"A mafia probably, but that's up to your paren- mom. I did what I had to do" he turns the tv off and smiles at me slightly before walking up the stairs.

"So if you need anything, my room is on the other side" he hands me one of his shirts since his sister took most of her clothes to college with her.

"Okay, thanks" I take the shirt from my hand and head back to the room.
"Night" he said.

"Night" I close the door to her room and turn the lamp. It was nice, nothing girly or empty, merely hipster. I take off the clothes that I found luckily in her closet and put on his shirt, which fit like a dress.

I cover myself with the blanket and just lay there. I wasn't even tired.

My mood at the moment was confusing. I wasn't sure wether to cry or have a mental breakdown. I get out of bed and walk towards the window. I roll it up and let the breeze hit my face. It was drizzling.

I sit there for a couple of minutes and hear multiple thunders. My mentality is giving me fantasies on how I think the moment I was with Ethan went.
How his grip on my skin was, it gave me butterflies to my stomach.

I wasn't sure what I was doing as of now. I stand up and open the door to my room. I walk towards Ethan's room which he purposely left the door open.

There was another door that I had passed, since I wasn't tired, I went inside to check it out. It was empty, there was no furniture, but the wallpaper seemed to have been a boys room. I leave the room and head back to Ethan's.

The floor was creaking as I walked closet to the door and stay stood there. Guessing he felt my presence because he turns from his sleeping position and faces me.

"Melanie?" He turns the light on, which made me see his more clearly. His hair was messy, he didn't have a shirt on. His voice made my knees weak. He looked perfect when he least expected.

"I can't be alone right now, I'd break down" I whispered.

He nodded and unwrapped his blanket. I walk over to him and lay my head on his chest. His right arm wraps us with his blanket. He then pulls me closer to him, which didn't bother me, I was comfortable.

The scent of his cologne fulfilled all around me, it wasn't strong, it was comforting. The scent familiar to my fathers. I wasn't close to falling asleep, pictures around his room caught my attention.

There were so many picture frames, medals, trophies. One picture caught my eye, two Ethan's.. but slightly different. He has a twin.

"You didn't tell me you had a twin" I whispered. His voice brakes, which worried me.
Was there something I said.

"I did.." he whispered back. He took his time before saying anything else.

"His name was Grayson, he died doing his job as a soldier" he coughed trying to hide a cry but I could still tell. I should've never even said anything.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know I was just curious-"
"It's okay, it's okay.. I don't blame you" he turned so I'm now face to face with him.

"It was a struggle, but.. I'm doing better now" he tried to smile it off but he failed. There was a moment of silence.
"That's good" I moved a piece of his hair away from his eyes.

He seemed zoned out but as soon as I cuddle my legs with his, he blinks which resulted of a tear slipping down his cheek.

"Eth.." My voice softened. I've never seen a boy cry, his cries were silent, just like his laugh the other day. It almost made me tear up as well, but it would make it worse.
I just had to create a problem..

"I promise you, I'm fine" he looks me throughly.
"Your the one that matters, not me" he kissed my forehead and got comfortable.

"Nothing matters" I muttered

fml bc It had been put this way