The Helpful Courier

Izaya trudged through the busy streets of Ikebukuro, normally bright crimson eyes now a dull red. His coat looked unusually unkempt and even his pitch black hair seemed disheveled. People stared at the informant, confused to see his face twisted into a frown instead of the smirk he always wore. Noticing all the eyes on him, Izaya flipped up his hood in agitation, wishing for once that the attention wasn't focused on him.

"Damn Shiki...making me go out to Ikebukuro for a stupid job. Damn that stupid stupid monster to hell for making me like this in the first place!" Izaya growled to himself, flipping out his phone to look over Shiki's instructions for him. It was simple, just capture a runaway drug dealer who owed the Awakusu-Kai money and deliver him to them. Normally he'd be annoyed that he didn't get better work from his boss.

However, for the past week he'd been waking up from the same recurring dream and had at most gotten two hours of sleep a night. That dumb nightmare where a certain protozoan captured him and they....Izaya stopped his train of though right there.

They were just dreams after all. It wasn't like they would every actually happen.

Obviously.

Then why were they always located somewhere in the back of the informant's mind, constantly reminding him of dream-Shizuo's touch?

No matter, no matter.

Izaya continued onward, paying more attention to his phone than he did to where he was walking. It wasn't like this was the first time he had been distracted by his device, once getting stabbed for paying more attention to the caller rather than his surroundings.

That definitely wasn't a good birthday.

That's why he just barely stopped himself from slamming into a black motorcycle.

Eyes lifting up hesitantly, Izaya flashed a smirk.

"Why hello there, Courier-san." He grinned, shoving his phone back into his coat pocket.

Celty tilted her helmet, her confusion obvious.

[You look awful.] She typed out slowly before showing the informant who in turn, burst out laughing.

"Now, that's not a very nice way to greet someone!" Izaya leaned back against a building wall, finding it much easier to keep focus on the black rider with the extra support. Even now he was still woozy from another terrible night of basically no sleep whatsoever.

[It's true. Are you feeling alright?] Celty asked. Normally she wouldn't care, but seeing as her best friend had a crush on this man she didn't want him in bad health.

Even if he was an asshole.

"Oh, I'm perfectly okay~! I just happen to be here for a job, don't worry I have no intention on causing trouble today. I'll be on my merry way home soon enough." The informant waved her off, placing an easy smile on his face. A small breeze of wind made him shudder and zip up his coat.

When had summer become so chilly?

Whatever, the sooner he got this over with the sooner he could go home and hopefully catch a few winks of sleep.

Ha, like that would happen. Izaya would rather not risk having that crazy dream again. He could go a little while longer without resting. If only his eyes would stop trying to close on their own.

[You don't seem like it. Do you want me to bring you to Shinra's?] The dullahan tried again, 'seeing' the fatigue clinging to the small raven and knowing he was just being stubborn.