Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"I'm going to need your car," Miren said as she walked inside her dorm room. She stopped when she saw Jeno and Wallace comparing pens. Her eyes narrowed. "Am I interrupting something?"

"I just finished programing a pen recorder device," Wallace said, handing the black instrument to her. "It's not as practical as the paper clip sized one that's probably in your pocket right now, but it has more memory space and a longer battery in case the other stops working. Of course, all intell will update on the encrypted iCloud-like server I have access to, but try not to lose either."

"Thanks, Watson." Miren smirked, examining the device in her hands. It looked like a regular-ass pen. "Ever feel like our efforts are wasted? We could be taking down a corrupt politician or CEO with our tireless commitment to justice."

"You've got to start somewhere," Jeno said, matching her grin. For once, she didn't feel a tinge of longing or worst, lust. Progress? He moved to his desk, collecting his laptop. "I'm assuming you need my car for your date from hell with Van Helsing?"

"You're observance is remarkable," Miren said, collapsing on her bed. This was a light week, but now that the dance was back on, something told her she'd be dedicating her life to that cause too. "Plus, it's not a real date. I just need her to tell me what I need to hear." She wrinkled her nose. "Remind me what I need to hear from her? Not to mention, how long do I have to do this?"

Jeno sat down next to her. "You need to get a confession from her for splashing you at the Rising Scholar Assembly, as well as motive and additional details. Secondly, you need to confirm that she was bullying you, and see if she can offer credible witnesses. Finally, we need her to share her perspective on The Incident."

Miren's eyes widened slightly as his narrowed on hers. "We need to know, Miren."

"I know." She sighed. "But I've blocked most of it out. I just don't want to talk about it."

"Even though we're putting ourselves on the line for you?" Wallace said.

"And I'm thankful, but you know everything you need to know. I will admit that my hands aren't entirely clean in the matter, but if you believe that Penelope is even slightly justified in what she did, then you'll lose motivation in this cause." She folded her arms before mumbling, "That's what always happens."

"Good to know you have faith in us," Wallace said sarcastically, also taking a seat next to her.

"It's not that." She shook her head. "When I was suspended, I strongly considered going to the Van Helsings' and exposing Penelope. But then I thought of all the lies Penelope must have told her family about me. It only takes a couple of words to completely turn people against you. And I don't know either of your triggers."

"Fair enough," Jeno replied, but he didn't seem entirely convinced. "I guess we'll just have to respect your space."

"You'll probably find out sooner or later." She scratched her head. "There's so much to it that I'm sure I don't even have the whole picture. But thank you." She tried to hug them simultaneously, and was barely successful at wrapping her shorter arms around them. "You guys are my boys." If she knew she was going to lose one of them, she would have held on tighter.

"You hear that Jeno? You've been put in the friend zone." Wallace smirked.

"Shut up." Jeno rose to his feet. "As nice as this was, I have to meet Theodora for our AP Chem study group. Remember the plan. Record the info you need and we'll go from there." Then he was gone.