Reflections

"I wish we weren't"..."I wish we weren't"...I wish I knew what that meant, Louis thought.

The oldest could hear Harry's words on repeat in his mind. In fact, Louis' thoughts were so loud that he imagined he'd never think clearly again.

Just days ago he had kissed Harry for the first time and it was nothing short of magical.

God did he want it to feel wrong. He wished for the feeling of Harry's cherry red lips to strike him as forced.

But of course the kiss didn't feel that way. How could it? Louis had harbored secret love for the curly haired boy ever since they were teenagers.

Life would just be simpler if his touch didn't create lightning bolts under his skin or butterflies in his stomach.

If Harry's kiss hadn't taken his breath away, then maybe the PR stunt would only be a stunt. Maybe his feelings for Harry would be so imaginary that the whole ordeal would begin to seem funny to the duo.

But that's exactly what the kiss did.

It left Louis weak in the knees, head over heels, and every other condition in between.

Harry was very much affected the same, but Louis couldn't possibly have known.

The only evidence of mutual feelings Louis found were in those four little words: "I wish we weren't".

But just as he had considered it, the boy had talked himself out of the possibly.

Obviously, Harry just hated being in front of the paps with their ridiculously large and obnoxious cameras.

The youngest had clearly meant just that. In no universe did Harry mean to imply he wished the kiss had been in private.

Right?

Louis went back and forth inside his mind as he laid in bed staring at the ceiling.

On the other side of the hallway, Harry sat criss crossed on his own bed, mirroring the thoughts of his bandmate.

The green eyed boy needed to know what Louis meant when he said the kiss felt wrong in front of the cameras.

Was it because their connection was anything but imaginary? Was it because Louis possibly liked him too?

Maybe not, Harry sighed to himself.

The most reasonable and plausible explanation was that kissing a friend for publicity was rather uncomfortable for Louis.

But their kiss hadn't felt that way. It hadn't felt wrong or deceitful. It felt genuine and real.

Louis felt real.

When he was holding his hands, making him laugh, and protecting him from the paparazzi.

When he was telling him stories, hugging him at concerts, and always keeping him calm.

When he was kissing him.

Louis felt so damn real.

Out in public girls would yelp and cry out to Louis in excitement, asking him if the relationship was still going strong.

Louis would smile at Harry as though he'd been with him since the beginning of time.