XXXVII. Sonic the Hedgehog

Looking down and seeing the 'X's in my shoulder was a shock. They weren't just slightly sticking out of my shoulders; the weapons were poking out the front and the back of them. To see all the blood dripping from them wasn't exactly appealing, either.

When Slade's kid appeared everyone turned their attention from me to her. I was left laying on the ground as an array of explosions and weapons sliced through the air, making me feel guilty that I couldn't in some way help.

I tried to lean on one of my elbows, getting a better view of what was going on, and learned that it had some serious problem. It didn't move easily, and when I put pressure on it, I cried out, gaining Robin and Raven's attention. A flash of guilt ran through me as they got knocked away by the kid, who looked at me with a dangerous look in her eyes.

"I have to get out there..." I muttered to myself. I slowly crawled to a wall, hoisting myself up with my good arm. I stopped there, my breathing heavy, as I looked down at my shoulders. The second they came out, I would start to bleed heavily. A glance at the battle outside, though, made me grip one of the Xs and yank it out.

I writhed as it ripped through my muscles, gritting my teeth. They were all fighting, even Robin, who looked to be in terrible shape. I couldn't make them worry about me by screaming in pain. I looked down hesitantly as blood bubbled from my shoulder to the ground. I looked away and gagged. Ironically, the sight of the stuff always made me queezy. No matter how many times I saw it in battles, it was just gross and almost unnatural.

I yanked the other X out, putting pressure onto the wounds with my hands. I laid my head back, closing my eyes. I couldn't remember being so tired before. After I kept my eyes closed as long as I dared, I turned my head to watch the battle. Robin was struggling to get up,  and Beast Boy was unconscious on the ground. I pushed myself up to my feet, leaning against the wall. My knees quickly gave out, and I landed on my elbow, cringing with pain. "What am I going to do...?" I muttered, getting back to my feet. This time, I was able to hold myself up, though it was still hard with how weak I felt.

For a while, I stayed as I was, watching the battle. I watched as Robin took his time getting to his knees, but Slade's kid suddenly turned her attention to him. I jumped up into the air and spun into her, falling onto my back next to Robin. "What the heck are you doing!" Robin shouted. "You're going to kill yourself."

I turned my head and smiled at him. "If that's what happens, I'll be glad knowing I helped destroy some evil first. But I still have some energy left." I got up to my knees, preparing to jump up and spin if it was necessary.

Slade's kid glared at me, and I noticed that it had been a while since I had seen Raven. She had been fighting originally, but now she was gone. I hoped she wasn't down for the count.

After a few more moments of staring me down, Slade's kid morphed into Starfire, shooting at me with the green, glowing shots of energy. I threw an arm up to shield my face, crying out as they struck it. There were a few burn marks on my arm, but at least they hadn't landed on my face.

Behind Slade's kid, I noticed that the sky behind her was beginning to change, turning into a fiery red. Robin looked back at me, then at the sky. "What's going on?" I asked. "That isn't normal."

"No kidding," Robin said, getting to his feet. He came over to me and helped me to my feet. "This is... bizarre."

"It certainly seems out of the ordinary, almost as if Raven's father was rising again," Starfire added.

I frowned. "Robin has a father? Who rose? That sounds evil."

"Raven's father is a god," Robin explained. "A slightly evil god."