Chapter 25

Content warning: This chapter contains mild adult themes.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling giddy about my night with Nima. It wasn't until we arrived in the dining hall for breakfast that I remembered why there was a knot in the pit of my stomach. Sitting in the seat next to Nima's was a Polynesian man who was built like a truck, Nima's match. Suddenly, I was overcome with nerves and jealous rage. If I'd had any food in my stomach, I would have thrown up. My mother stood up to introduce him.

"Ladies and gentleman, this is Pi'ilani. He will be joining us for our illustrious project as Nima's match."

I began to tremble with rage. I felt a gentle touch on my back, followed by Nima's quiet whisper.

"Calm down," was all she said. It didn't soothe my temper entirely, but it kept it from escalating. My mother gave us a piercing, avian look. It wasn't a glare, but something more, like a hawk spotting a fish in a river.

We dispersed into our seats without a word. I kept throwing sideways glances at Pi'ilani. At one point, I gave up on subtlety and glared at him from across the table. It was completely unfair. I didn't know him, he didn't know me. He had done nothing to deserve my wrath, but that didn't stop me.

I was about to try to let go of unwarranted rage, when he looked up from his plate across the table, and straight into my eyes. A malicious sneer sliced across his face. I may not have known who he was, but somehow he knew exactly who I was. His expression said it all; Nima was his, and the game was on.

I slammed my utensils down on the table and stormed out without excusing myself. The entire exchange had taken place without a sound, and I could see looks of surprise and confusion on the others' faces as I swept from the room.

I stopped in the hallway outside of the dining room, hoping that Nima might come after me. I listened to the sounds coming from the dining room, waiting for a sign that Nima might be coming. I heard the sound of a chair scraping on the stone floor, then the quiet melody of Nima's polite voice.

Yes! She was coming! But then I heard another voice, an older voice, my mother. I pressed my ear to the wall that separated the hallway from the dining room.

"Nima, dear, may I please speak with you a Pi'ilani in the hall?" I didn't have time to duck around the corner before the three of them stepped into the hallway.

"Nima, since you and Pi'ilani will be spending the rest of your lives together, I thought it would be good for you to take him under your wing. Show him around and help him learn the in's and out's of our fine establishment, alone." My mother had not acknowledged my presence, but she gave me a pointed look as she said the last word. She shooed me off with a dismissive wave of her hand.

I rolled my eyes and set off toward my brooding cave, my bedroom, as others might have called it. I didn't know why I was reacting this way. They didn't bring people here just to sit around and look pretty. I should have understood that they would eventually find a match for Nima. This wasn't a romantic cruise, it was an experimental breeding ground for Humanity 2.0. I was angry with myself for being so naive, and disgusted all over again by this whole project.

Once I was in my room, I threw myself onto my bed melodramatically. Except for mealtimes, I stayed there until the weekend was over.

I didn't get a chance to talk to Nima alone that whole week. My mother kept her busy escorting Pi'ilani (who preferred to be called Pi, like the number) around the compound, teaching him about our routines and activities.

On Friday, Pi was due to begin his treatment. Unlike Nima, he had come to the compound fully aware of the risks and benefits of joining the program. Instead of sitting around the lab, waiting for Pi to finish, Nima left him to fend for himself. I waited out of view to corner her as she exited the lab. I was prepared to let fly an angry rant about her abandoning me, but as soon as she saw me, she gave me a brilliant smile and my heart melted. She pulled me into her arms and held me like a long-lost lover.

"I've missed you so much," she said quietly, breathing in the scent of my hair.

"I was afraid he was stealing you away from me," I felt a little ashamed of my worries as I voiced them.

"I told you, I'll never let you go," Nima said, holding me out at arms length to look me in the eye. Despite the fact that we had seen each other frequently throughout the week, it felt like we'd been apart for months, because we had had no time together for just the two of us.

"How's Jughead treating you?" I asked, nodding my head toward the lab. I hoped they were poking and prodding him a little more aggressively than was necessary. Nima's eyes grew wide with fear.

"He's terrifying," she whispered urgently. "I think he might actually be a psychopath." She looked around, as if he might be listening in on our conversation. "Aria, he wants your title. He wants you dead!" She was starting to look a little crazed.

"He's not going to kill me, Nima," I said dismissively. "No one here would allow it. Well, maybe Justine, but that's beside the point. I've been here a lot longer than he has. They have far more invested in me than in him. They can't afford to lose me."

"I sincerely doubt that will stop him," she argued, but didn't press the issue further. She hooked her arm around mine and we meandered through the empty halls, avoiding the more trafficked areas.

As we walked, Nima told me more about Pi. He was 21 years old, just like her. He was here to claim a bride and his place as king by any means necessary. She told me that he was a chauvinist and a bully.

"If he lays a hand on you, so help me-" I spat through gritted teeth.

"Easy, slugger," Nima said, stroking my arm with her free hand. "I can handle him, if it comes to it."

"I know. I just, I can't lose you," I said, feeling exhausted suddenly.

"You won't," she said with a reassuring smile.

"How about a cello lesson?" I asked trying to lighten the mood. Nima's face lit up.

"That would be wonderful," she replied, resting her head on top of mine.

We sat in a practice room for a couple of hours, occasionally playing the cello, but mostly stealing quick kisses that turned into longer kisses.

I longed for more, but the soundproof door was made of glass. We were taking enough of a risk sharing a kiss here and there. Zan was keeping watch down the hallway, and he patrolled at random intervals. It would be all too easy for him to catch us in the act.

"You should probably get back to the lab. We wouldn't want your boy toy to be all alone," I teased.

"Don't call him that," she became angry quite suddenly and unexpectedly. I put my hands up in surrender.

"I'm sorry," I said honestly. "I just really hate this situation."

"I know. I do, too." Nima's expression was far away. "But this was inevitable, right? And we've made it this far. We'll figure something out, okay?" She looked me in the face.

"Yeah." I couldn't convince either of us that my response was genuine. Nima glanced out the door, and then without warning she pinned me against the wall with her whole body. She gathered the collar of my shirt into her fists and pulled me into a desperate kiss. The moment was reminiscent of our first kiss, and it made me smile.

I snuck my hand under her shirt and felt my way up her abdomen. I massaged her breast through her bra, and she responded by moaning into my mouth. I had to push her away gently, before things got any more out of hand.

"I'm sorry." I said, avoiding looking at her directly. "I shouldn't have-"

"Shh." Nima pressed a strong, slender finger to my lips. "You have nothing to apologize for." She planted a quick kiss on my cheek, before moving to the door. As she walked out of the door, I took a second to admire her backside before following her out. She must have felt me starting at her, because she flashed a seductive smile over her shoulder. I took a few quick steps to catch up to her, so that we were walking side by side.

"May I escort you to your destination, your highness?" I asked in mock formality.

"And they say chivalry is dead," Nima batted her eyelashes at me. "I would be honored, your majesty."