Chapter Thirty

A/N: Here you go, hope this finally settles you down!

To make this even better, when you're done reading watch the video on the side and listen to the song, seriously, that song is like my unofficial Sterek song now. Do it, you should listen.

                                                      ~ ~ ~

Stiles stood in the open doorway, chewing on his lip as he stared down at Derek, suddenly forgetting his words.

Derek returned his gaze, his eyes never holding with Stiles’ for too long.

“I uh… maybe we should talk.” Stiles said finally.

Derek sighed and scooted over to give him room to sit. Stiles walked in slowly, shutting the door behind him. His hands were stuffed in his pockets and his heart was beating so hard he thought it might explode.

He sat down beside Derek, leaving plenty of room between them as the atmosphere in the room grew even tenser. How were they even going to start this thing?

“Uh… when, when did you get back?” Stiles asked.

“I never really left.” Derek said softly, not looking up.

Stiles exhaled heavily. He had hoped this would be easy but it was anything but.

“Where did you go?”

“… the camping spot.”

“Oh.” Stiles said the sound catching in his throat as he remembered the night they had spent there.

There was more silence. Derek couldn’t stand to be near him, he had missed his scent, the way he bit down on that bottom lip when he was thinking, everything. He had tried to stay away from him so that he could forget about all of that but here he was.

“Why did you just disappear Derek?” He finally managed to ask.

Derek sighed. “I needed to get things done. It was just better if I did them myself.”

“You didn’t call…”

“I needed to be by myself and… I need, I need you not to be with me.” He said.

Stiles swallowed. “Why?”

“You need to be safe; I’m not going to make you any safer. It’s better if we just, go back to the way things were.” Derek said softly.

“To what? My sarcasm and your angry glares?” Stiles asked.

“It’s better that way.” Derek said without looking up.

“Stop saying that.” Stiles said, getting a little angry. “You think you know what’s best for me all the time and you don’t.”

“I know that trouble follows me. That’s what I know.” He looked up at Stiles who shook his head with a huff.

“Yeah? Well it follows me too, I’ve been getting into trouble a lot longer than I’ve known you.”

“If it weren’t for me then you would never have been put in danger in the first place. You could have died.”

“I could have yeah, but I could die every time I get into my car too. There’s probably a better chance of death by tree than there is of death by supernatural.” Derek shook his head and looked away. “I don’t blame you for any of this anyway, if there’s anyone to blame it’s Peter, I mean he was the one who dragged Scott and me into it in the first place.”

“We can't Stiles. I’m not going to let you die because of me, whatever the chances.” He did have to agree with him about Peter though, he was nothing but trouble.