Chapter 8: Me And My Big Mouth

Dante gave me an ultimatum. Shift on my own or he would force the change on me. He warned me I shouldn't wait for it to come to that.

He allowed me to stay upstairs in his room. Carla brought my dinner last night. For being an enemy and kidnapper, he was taking very good care of us. I couldn't understand.

No one else from my pack tried to contact me after my uncle. I was beginning to panic a little from the silence. The only sounds I heard were the conversations between the rogues. I barely listened to the bits and pieces that drifted upstairs from the first floor. Last night it was about who was going to grab dinner. This morning they hadn't started arguing yet.

The sun glared through the window and woke me up this morning. Someone had come in and drawn back the shades. It woke me out of me dream.

My head was pounding. The moment I sat up I fell back down onto the bed.

"How are you feeling?"

My head snapped to the left. Dante sat in a chair next to his bed. He was the one who opened the shades and let the sun in. He looked like he hadn't slept all night.

"Can you please shift back?" he tiredly begged.

I didn't want to make this easy on him but I didn't want to go through the day eating and drinking out of a bowl. I snuggled under the covers and closed my eyes.

"Can I get some water by any chance?" I asked when I emerged from the sheets.

"Of course."

He stood up and walked into the adjacent bathroom. I took the time to really think while I pulled on the shirt he left out for me. The more I thought about it, the more curious I got. He wasn't so bad to look at and I didn't really know him.

I was determined to talk to him today. I had to learn more about this mysterious mate.

"Here."

I nearly fell off the bed in shock. I was thinking so hard I hadn't heard him come back into the room. I reached a shaky hand out to take the glass of water from him.

His fingers grazed against mine. I almost dropped the glass. Heat radiated through my body from his touch. I was instantly calm.

"Thanks," I spoke after I had a sip of water. The cold liquid felt good against my throat. It was even subsiding the migraine.

"I realize you probably don't like me very much right now."

"You think?" I interrupted a little harshly.

"You better get your attitude in check when you speak to your Alpha."

"Let's get one thing straight here, Dante. You are not my Alpha. My Alpha was my father who was ruthlessly killed almost seven months ago. I will choose who my Alphas is, not you," I declared.

He was seriously disturbed if he thought I would just let him bully me into allowing him to become Alpha of my pack.

Dante's face twisted in anger. His fists clenched and unclenched. He took a deep breath. I could tell he was having a hard time controlling himself from going off on me.

"We will see about that."

"I don't see how you are going to change my mind. I don't belong to you."

I instantly regretted saying it. It was a low blow even for him.

"Are you trying to make me hit you?" he growled. He slammed me into the wall. His hot breath on my neck sent shivers down my spine. His hand closed loosely around my neck. I could still barely manage a breath out.