PART 10, SECTION 15

After the last of the positives had received a dose of our TGVx, my dad put his head down on the stone slab to sleep.

I was so light-headed that I almost toppled over when I stood.

Once I gathered my balance, I started making my way carefully up the path to the bluff above the dwellings. I needed some fresh air.

There was a narrow sand bar up the ravine. As I passed by I saw Shawn there, sitting cross-legged, building a mound of sand with Jake, Lindsay's son. They were poking little sticks into the sand, and Jake was giving each stick the name of someone he knew. "This is Melissa, this is Aunt Flora, this is Ronnie and Summer. . ." Shawn obviously didn't know any of these people, but he was playing along as if he did, and the kid seemed to be having the time of his life receiving Shawn's attention. Now the kid poked two sticks at the top of the sand mound. "And this is Shawn and mommy," he said. I passed by quietly, and they were both so absorbed that they didn't notice me.

The sun was just beginning to fall behind the horizon. It had been a relatively warm day, and after so many hours by the fire, the evening winter chill on the bluff was pleasant. Finally, I'd have a moment alone to sort through everything that had just happened.

Or so I thought.

Apparently, Lindsay Tripp also had some private thinking to do. She sat on the sandstone, watching the setting sun. Just before I was able to avoid her and go someplace else, she turned around.

She stood and brushed her jeans nervously. "Ashley . . . hey," she said. Her beautiful features glowed in the sunset's orange light.

Great. Probably the last person I felt like talking to now. . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;) xxBailey