Chapter 19: Lessons, Part 2

"GOOD MORNING, STUDENTS," Lyrai called as he strode onto the flying field for his first lesson early the next day

"Morning, sir," the students chorused raggedly from miryhl-back.

"I said good morning, students!"

"Good morning, sir!"

"Better." He smiled, looking at his nineteen students. They were a pleasant mix from across the Overworld, and he recognised about half. "Some of you already know me from Nimbys and the journey here, but for the rest, I am Lieutenant Lyrai and this is Sergeant Honra. We will be teaching you how to fly." There was a ripple of whispers and he clapped his hands for silence, startling one student into falling off.

"On your miryhl, Mouse," Honra called.

The boy blushed and remounted, much to the amusement of the others. While he settled, Lyrai studied the faces before him, their expressions ranging from smug to anxious. He hoped to cure both before the morning was over.

"As you may have realised, some of your lessons will be taken with all of Captain Myran's students, others won't. You're all learning the same things, but it occasionally pays to lessen the odds of students to teacher." A few people chuckled. "As you get older your lessons will mix with Riders and students from other years. Since you'll be expected to fight together under the same captain, we expect you to train together too. It should teach you to respect those outside your peer group and perhaps help others less fortunate.

"All of Aquila's students are Riders-in-training and we expect you to behave accordingly. Treat others as you wish to be treated and you can't go wrong. After three years your time will come." He paused to let his words sink in. After a long moment, he smiled. "That's the serious stuff done. Let's move on."

With Honra's help, he arranged the lines so that he could see everyone. "Introductions." He pointed to the boy on the end. "Name?"

"Fhyrin fra Fhenlyn, sir."

"And your miryhl?"

Fhyrin looked surprised. "This is Twister, sir."

"A pleasure to meet you, Twister," Lyrai said to the miryhl, who nodded back. "Where are you from, Fhyrin?"

"Seffal Falls in Kevian, sir, and I've been flying since I was five." Fhyrin sat up straighter and puffed out his chest. "My father and two brothers are Riders."

Lyrai raised an eyebrow at the boy's cocky smirk. This was one he'd have to keep an eye on. For now, however, he dismissed Fhyrin with a brief nod and moved on, coaxing introductions from the rest, including those he already knew, until he came to the last. "Name?"

"Greig fra Jeign, sir."

He studied the lad closely. His dark skin and brown curls identified him as Etherian, but there was something about the firm jaw and mischievous brown eyes that looked even more familiar. "Where are you from, Greig?"