Extra - Dan's POV

As soon as Dan woke up that morning, he could tell it was going to be a shitty day.

Peej had burst into the room with news of a new student, something that he didn't particularly care about in the slightest, and he seemed to have burnt his bedsheets while he was dreaming again. Not to mention that the pain in his chest was getting considerably worse each day, stabbing, burning, aching, all the way down his spine and numbing his legs.

So a new student? He couldn't exactly be excited for it, could he?

"C'mon Dan, at least show a little bit of interest!" PJ whined, watching as he sprayed some straightening spray over his curly locks and got dressed in the infamous Dahlia Academy uniform. It was no secret that he hated the two colours - white and blue - so he was bound to be in a harsh mood if he had to wear them every day. At least he had his disgustingly spiked shoes or else he might as well just die right then and there. "We haven't had a new student since we joined the academy three years ago, so this is exciting!"

Dan shrugged, scowling. "There's nothing to be excited about," he said nonchalantly. "It's just going to be another person who despises me. Why should I be excited about that?"

He didn't have to glance at Peej to know that he was frowning, Dan's name dying on his lips as Dan began to walk out the door. The walls were relatively quiet as everyone was already in the dining hall. A harsh ring notified Dan that he had, indeed, missed breakfast and his stomach growled in protest.

He doesn't know why he does this to himself.

As they walked through the halls, Dan could already feel PJ steeling himself up, making himself seem more bad and venous than he truly was. While Dan understood that Peej did it for his benefit, to show Dan that he wasn't alone and to ward off anyone that might piss Dan off, he didn't understand why Peej would sacrifice his own social life for Dan's comfort. He was a blessing, really, and Dan loved him for that, but sometimes he wish he didn't hold his friend back from making other relationships.

He sat down in his usual seat in the back of the room, PJ on one side and an empty seat on the other. He wasted no time in getting a book out (today's choice just happened to be Sybil) and putting it over his face, feet heavy on the desk in front of him. It was his daily routine, one that made him relax and look unapproachable while being able to snooze the day away.

The teachers didn't dare say anything to him about it. Not after last time, when he set the classroom on fire and made class be cancelled for a few days. Even then, he still didn't get punished, would never get punished when he was Axel's prized possession and the academy's best student.

The quiet of the classroom came to a stop and Dan vaguely recognized the sound of the door opening. Then Mr. Parker was speaking, a mixture of nervousness and surprise. "Ah, Principal Stevenson! Is this the new student?"

Dan didn't move, didn't even look.

"This is Phil Lester and he will be in your care for today, Mr. Parker. He needs a partner assigned who can show him around campus and help him with his studies."

Dan felt a cold chill go through his spine. The empty seat beside him was suddenly too close, suffocating him. He resisted the urge to switch places with Peej, to hide behind him like when he set his entire city in flames and PJ was there to let him sob into his shoulder. He was the only person without a partner, and he could imagine the worried look that Mr. Parker was giving to Principal Glickstern.

"Very well," Mr. Parker said quietly. "The only person who doesn't have a partner yet is Dan Howell." There was a pause where Dan imagined he had cringed. They all do whenever they mention his name. "You may sit next to him for today, all the way in the seat at the back."