CHAPTER 1

It was a regular day at school. The screech of steel next door from the dry dock to the horns of ships in the bay. I looked at the clock. 11:59. Wait for it... 12:00.

The humming. Then the buzzing. The afternoon squadron. P51's and B17's came roaring overhead. That wasn't the coolest part. A giant whooshing sound was next. I was seated next to the window, so I looked out. Odd. Just two cruisers. I flipped to one of my notebooks. Yep. I was right. Pittsburgh and San Diego. The Pittsburgh was a beautiful ship. So elegant. It was amazing watching it. The escort turned towards open waters. Off to Germany.

I noted how there were four engines on the back. I turned to the back of the notebook. I added an extra two the already four engines to my destroyer I was drawing.

"Now who can explain what we just discussed?" The teacher asked.

Shoot. If Mrs. Carna knew you didn't know an answer, she called on you. I did what every single other person in the class did: put my hand up too.

"Emily."

"We have been at war with Germany for almost a decade, and the war has no end in sight."

"Thank you."

"Nico. Explain the timeline starting from 1948 to today."

Shoot again.

"Uh, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor for a second time. We attacked back and won. Germany took over Ireland and Australia just last month."

"Thank you."

Yes! A few hours of school later, and I was walking with my friends.