Thirteen

"Wonwoo," said Mingyu, "I'm gay."

Wonwoo didn't know what to say, so he stood for a while and gazed at the boy in front of him.

"You're gay?" he asked.

"Yeah," said Mingyu, shrugging and looking at his feet, "you can go, it's fine-"

"Why would I go anywhere?" Wonwoo interrupted.

"I don't know," Mingyu mumbled, "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologising?" Wonwoo asked, his voice softening as the boy in front of him buried his face back in the white towel.

"I don't know," repeated Mingyu, inhaling sharply and looking up from his towel.

"It's fine," Wonwoo said, "you're brave for saying that."

Mingyu shrugged and sat down fully, resting the towel on the floor next to him. He seemed unable to look at Wonwoo.

"Well, I guess you know, now," Mingyu said.

"Yeah," Wonwoo said.

Mingyu looked down at his hands, chewing on his bottom lip. "You won't tell anyone?"

"No," said Wonwoo.

"You're the only one who knows," Mingyu continued, "I didn't want anyone to know, but I guess that's fucked."

"It's fine, I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to," Wonwoo reassured, reaching out a hand and nervously placing it on the younger's shoulder.

That was the first time he had ever touched Mingyu on his own accord, with his own actions. He had touched Mingyu before, when their hands brushed accidentally or when Mingyu put his arm around him while he laughed. But this time Wonwoo had done it himself and it felt strange, like Mingyu's shoulder had shot sparks into Wonwoo's palm. Mingyu looked up at Wonwoo and smiled slightly.

"Thank you," he said.

Wonwoo smiled back.

It all seemed to slide into place then and there for Wonwoo, and he realised that he actually had some sort of chance. At least he had found out Mingyu actually liked guys, and that opened doors and possibilities that Wonwoo had never considered to be actually plausible, since with the way the taller boy attracted girls like a magnet, he had completely assumed him to be straight. Wonwoo felt like he actually had a chance, but then remembered that Wonwoo was just Wonwoo, and popular boys like Mingyu didn't like people like Wonwoo, even if they were gay or not.

"Aish," sighed Mingyu, "I didn't want you to find out this way. I'm so pissed at my mum right now."

"But you don't have to keep that much of a secret anymore. Isn't that a lot easier to deal with?" Wonwoo said.

"A little," said Mingyu, smiling again at Wonwoo, glancing into his eyes for a few seconds and then back to his hands.

Wonwoo had begun to see a new Mingyu in the past few months, one that wasn't all confidence and smoothness and sexiness, but a vulnerable, despearate Mingyu that he had first seen crying in the park, then once again when the two had kissed, and now once again after Mingyu's revelation. Wonwoo realised how close he had gotten to the younger boy and his heart swelled at the fact that he had told him secrets, that Mingyu trusted him. Mingyu obviously felt the same closeness that Wonwoo did, but as Wonwoo dismissed, without the romantic feelings.

"Let's go somewhere," said Mingyu, "I'm too irritated with my mum right now to be in the same house as her."

"Sure," Wonwoo said, as they both stood up and walked out from Mingyu's room.