Chapter 5

So I woke up this morning to find my first vote and follower so thank you @Charlzke for that and so I decided to put up this next chapter tonight to celebrate!

So now I think we should find out a little more about Mr Colin Black...

Enjoy! :) 

-----

The next morning, Lavinia awoke with a great feeling of excitement. Mr Colin Black had certainly not been deterred by her uncommon choice of dress or the rumours of her disaster of a coming out ball. He had sat by her for most of the night, discussing the poetry they both enjoyed and he had given her many suggestions of places to visit in London – with the hope that he would accompany her no doubt.

Lavinia had told Anne about her outing planned with Mr Black the night before and Anne had been so proud of her. Lavinia knew that this could be the beginning of a good friendship and that her mother and Aunt would be convinced that she had been a success. Mr Black had proposed to call in the morning to seek her Aunt's permission and then they would spend time exploring Hyde Park with Anne as chaperone. Afterwards, Lavinia had promised Judith that they would still have their shopping excursion as there were no engagements that night.

Anne chose a fresh, yellow dress that made Lavinia's hair look a little lighter and flattered her figure. The day seemed promising and Anne wanted Lavinia to look her best.

"Are you nervous?" Anne asked as she was fixing her hair.

"Oddly enough, no," was the honest reply. "Perhaps I would be if I liked him, but I am sure the offer was simply one of friendship."

"What do you think your brother will say when Mr Black arrives?"

"I don't know," Lavinia bit her bottom lip. "I hope he is not rude, but I cannot be sure. He has never taken it well when someone seemed interested in me."

"I am sure he will be on his best behaviour, m'lady," Anne reassured her. "It is expected for young women to go on outings with other men so he should understand."

Lavinia hoped that Anne was right. Surely Charles had thought of this, was she expected to spend her whole summer indoors?

As Lavinia went down to breakfast, she thought more of how Charles could react to her visitor. He could either be rude to the man and demand that he leave, be cold until he leaves himself or make Lavinia dismiss him. She was not prepared for the scene she found as she entered the breakfast room.

Mr Black and Charles rose from their seats when she entered, trying to hold in some uncontrollable laughter. Her Aunt was the same, laughing heartily at the head of the table.

Stunned, Lavinia looked around the room until she realised that Mr Black was holding out her chair for her, waiting expectantly. She sat down, smiling in thanks at him before Charles spoke.

"Mr Black here has offered to take you around Hyde Park this morning, Lavinia," he told her. "Are you alright with that?"

"Certainly Mr Black, I would be delighted," Lavinia had her answer ready.

"Then it is settled," he repeated his words from the night before.

"What was so amusing as I entered?" Lavinia asked around the table.

"Nothing," the three of them replied innocently. Lavinia wasn't so sure, but was unable to comment as Harrison had approached her with the salver. A small card addressed to her on it.

Intrigued, she took it and read it's contents.

Lady Lavinia,

I truly am sorry, please allow me to make amends.