Chapter Six

I sprinted home, a blinding smile on my face. My team was amazing. We all worked together without a seconds thought, our strength covered the others weaknesses, and Sensei showed that he would be able to teach us a great deal.

Suddenly, I skidded to a stop, the smile melting off my face like a candle's wax, folding and dripping in on itself.

My parents. They wouldn't be pleased with my team. I sighed, but carried on. I opened the door, slipping my shoes off. "I'm home, mother, father," I called. No one answered. I saw a note on the table. I piced it up, reading it quickly.

I grinned. They were at a party, and wouldn't be home until dinner! I sprinted upstairs, heading towards my sister's room. I knocked as I opened the door. "Sister, sister!" I called, "Will you please train with..." I I trail off as I catch sight of her.

Strain filled her eyes, stress slumped her shoulders. This wasn't the steadfast sister I knew. She quickly composes herself. "So, you passed your Anbu test, Hideaki?" I asked, glimpsing the tatoo on her shoulder. 

"Yeah," She replied, glancing at it. "I took the test a couple of days ago, found out I passed and got the tatoo today," She told me. I nodded. 

"Um, I was wondering--"

"If I would help you train?" She interrupts. 

I nod. The silence lingers for ages. Suddenly, the words begin to tumble from my mouth. "I'm really sorry for how I treated you after you defended me and all, but--"

"Hey," She whisperes, ruffling my hair, "That's what big sisters are for," She smiled sadly. I smile back, unable to discern the emotion that lingered in her eyes. Nostalgia? Regret? 

"So will you...?" I trail off, waiting for an answer.

 She sighed, then beckoned me closer. She poked me in the stomach, causing me to double over, then lifted my chin, smiling into my eyes. She's done this ever since I could remember, just a familiar gesture that's worn in throughout the years.

"Next time, yeah?" She said. I frowned, furrowing my brow in a childish grimace, but nodded all the same. I backed out of her room, heading towards the library to study genjutsu.

Gen jutsu was just so... interesting. There was so many different styles and ways to go about tricking and ensnaring a mind. I read until I heard the door slide open. I snapped the heavy volume shut, rising to my feet and heading to my room.

The maids dressed me for dinner, and I smiled a quick thank you before hurrying to the dining room. I enter with the smallest of smiles gracing my face, bowing to my father. He nods back, the slightest sliver of surprise showing as I sit down, the smile remaining.

"And how was your day, Father, Mother?" I asked, ignoring the food set out in front of me. 

"It was fine," Father said loftily, drinking from his cup. "And you? We haven't heard about your new team yet,"

I cringe mentally, but I'm happy with my team, and he will learn to be. "Daisuke Igarashi and Shun," I stated.

Father regards me with cold eyes. Then he sighed slightly. "There's nothing you could do to control who you got on your team," He said, "And your Sensei?" He asked.

"Sensei," I replied, miffed that I couldn't give father a name.

"Yes, your sensei, who is he?" Father asked impatiently as our plates are cleared away and the maids brought tea in.

"My sensei is Sensei," I tried to explain. I cringe as my hair was tugged harshly as gnarled hands twisted into it. 

"Don't back talk your Father, girl," my grandmother grumbled, before releasing my hair. I gave her a well hidden, distasteful look, hating that I had to sit next to her.