Last Words

"Let's move, men!"

Bumblebee's booming voice rattled through the minds of everyone. Or at least, that's what I gathered from the glazed over eyes of Bumblebee and the wincing men. They all began moving towards their individual locations waiting to neutralize a threat to their pack and their mates.

Bumblebee picked me up gently and carried me upstairs and to the roof of the little cabin we had arrived at not even an hour ago.

"John and James will be staying with you. You will not under any circumstances leave them. Do you understand?" he said slow and quiet, his voice dripping with authority and his eyes demanding respect.

"But like," I thought of multiple scenarios, "what if they become compromised?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Don't try to be clever."

I sighed. "Fine."

"Good." There was a pause filled with separation anxiety and I felt like I had to tear myself in two to let him go. I looked over the edge of roof while the breeze played with my hair. Men were climbing trees and the sight of so many bodies crawling up them was disturbing. "Annabel."

My gaze snapped to him at the sound of my name. When was the last time he said it? When did it sound so good? "Yes?"

"I love you." His silver eyes bore into me with a vulnerable intensity so strong it made the world seem to spin around us in a blur. I felt so intimate with him in a way no amount of closeness could describe. In a metaphor, I felt like he was an Olympic gymnast who did leaps and bounds that everyone adored him for, but I was the only one that saw his tumbling from his perspective. I was dizzy.

"I love you too." My heart tore in half with those words so that he could have one half and all my love could pour out. Some of my heart's love juice leaked out of my eyes.

He smiled so wide until he saw a tear. "Please don't cry. Tomorrow we are going home."

I nodded, trying to slam the logic into my brain.

His eyes glazed over. "I have to go. I'll see you soon. I love you."

"I love you too." My voice was whispy and nonexistent but he gave a small smile as it floated to his ears.

With that, he jumped off the roof and ran to a tree, disappearing in seconds. 

"Luna?"

I turned around to see James, cautious. I smiled weakly and wiped the tear away. I laughed to myself. "I'm crazy."

He gave a sympathetic smile to me, "no. He's your mate." I nodded. "C'mon. Let's go downstairs." He held his hand out towards the door in a gesture to walk there, and I did so. He stepped forward at the last second and opened the door for me. I smiled and gave him a thank you and walked down to the first level of the little cabin.

John sat in a chair by the window, peeking out of the blinds. James walked to lock the doors and windows.

"Luna-" James started.

"Call me Annabel, remember?"

He smiled. "Annabel, why don't you take a nap? It's going to be a long night if you don't."

I looked to my feet. I knew he was right, but I really didn't want to sleep. I wasn't tired anyways. "I'll try." I walked to the tiny bedroom and lied down on the twin size bed. It felt like a rock but somehow it was comforting. I pulled the sheet-like "blanket" over me and held it tight. Within five minutes, I was out.

---

"Annabel!" someone whispered hurriedly. My eyes flew open and I froze at I stared at a face I didn't recognize. My only instinct was to watch him. He didn't seem a threat... "It's me. James." I blinked. James!