Chapter Two

5/10/15

5/10/15

"LANGUAGE GRAYSON KENNINGS!" my mother's voice echoes from the front door.

She was never one for explicit language. It is "dirty and improper," she always says.

"Sorry," I mumble out feeling ten years old again. Not even in the house a few minutes and I've already had my mind tossed upside down, broken glasses, and been chastised. There goes my carefree summer of fun.

My mother's petite frame pops around the corner with my father. My mother is stunning with her chestnut colored hair and fair skin. My father and her both share the same blue eyes that Bailey and I are blessed with. Bailey shares the same hair color and facial structure as our mom, soft and round, always looking like an angel. But while my sister takes after my mother, I take after my father. He's a tall man, well over six feet tall with a strong build. We share the same bright blonde hair, and I have his strong facial features. Like a straight nose, and high cheekbones.

My mother and father sit the load of groceries they are carrying on the island in the kitchen. My mother's looking at the ground. "What happened in here?" she asks her face pinched. She quickly grabs the broom and dustpan from the pantry, and my father begins to pick up the larger chunks. I just awkwardly step out of the way.

I twist my hands not knowing how to answer.

"I told her," Bailey says happily.

I swallow the lump in my throat that is her news. "Yeah, and the glasses were slick..." I say nervously not wanting to look at the real reason as to why I dropped them. I then pause in confusion. "Wait you two knew?" I exclaim.

My father finishes collecting the glass, adding them in a separate bag with my mother's pieces she gathered. "No one walk in here without shoes on for the rest of the day," my father says ignoring my question.

"We just found out also Grayson, don't get you panties in a twist." That's my mother's favorite line to say.

"Was your drive good?" my mother asks after everything is cleaned up. I smile and nod, and both my mother and father immediately come over and engulf me in their arms. Because of my refusal to come down to Easton they rarely get to see me. They will occasionally visit, but they love the beach and can't understand my reasoning for wanting to go somewhere where it snows so much.

We grew up in Virginia and would always come on vacation in Florida. And one year we stumbled across Easton when I was young, and the family fell in love. We've had a house here ever since. It really did become a second home. I won't be surprised when my parents retire if they move down here full time. They are here more days out of the year then our actual home in Virginia. The air, the ocean, the feeling is just so different here. It makes everything seem better.

"We've missed you so much sweetheart," my father's deep voice rumbles.

I pull them closer. "I've missed you both more." And I really did. My family is a close one.  I pulled away from everyone after that summer when I was sixteen. I didn't mean for it to happen, my heart hardened, and it became hard for me to be close to anyone. When we were all home and it was time to come back to Easton, I would make an excuse and stay in Virginia while everyone else left. He changed everything for me.